Another line transfer question concerning the data plan on the upgrade-eligible line
kungfuchic511
Enthusiast - Level 1

My mother has a feature phone with no data plan and is eligible for an upgrade, I have the I4 and am not eligible yet. I've read about buying the I5 under another person's upgrade and then transferring the activation to your own line to keep your own unlimited data plan but my question is...if I use my mother's upgrade, I would obviously have to sign her line up for the 2 GB data plan right? So then does that mean that even after I transfer the I5 to my line, we will have to continue to pay the $30 for the 2 GB plan on her line even though she wouldn't use it and wants to keep her old feature phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Another line transfer question concerning the data plan on the upgrade-eligible line
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, she wouldn't have to keep the data feature on her basic phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Another line transfer question concerning the data plan on the upgrade-eligible line
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, she wouldn't have to keep the data feature on her basic phone.

0 Likes
kungfuchic511
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for replying. Just so I'm clear on how the process would go, if I order through VZW and upgrade my mom's line, when I get to the step where I have to choose a data plan option, I select the 2 GB option and complete the order right? Then when I get the phone I have to contact VZW to transfer the phone to my line and her line will remain exactly the same? That will automatically remove the 2 GB data plan? And in the meantime until I receive the phone, both our lines will work with no problem? Sorry for so many questions I just want the whole process to go as smoothly as possible and I want to understand exactly what I have to do.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's my understanding as well.  If it were me, I'd double-check my account on-line via MyVerizon later that day or the next (after you get your new phone activated) and ensure that the plans are correct and that the data plan wasn't added to your mom's phone.  If it was, you can call Customer Service and have them delete it (you may be able to delete it yourself as well).  Good luck!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kungfuchic511,

Im happy to clear everything up for you regarding the alternate upgrade process, but you are absolutely correct on how it works. If you use the upgrade on your mothers line her contract will be extended for 2 years, but you can then activate the upgraded iPhone 5 on your line and keep the unlimited data. When processing the upgrade you will be prompted to select the 2 GB option to complete the order but once you activate the phone on your line the 2GB package will be dropped. Your mother can go back to having her basic phone with no data and you will have the upgraded iPhone 5 on your line with unlimited data.

Thank you,

GeorgeP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think it is a shame customers have to resort to that many steps to keep their service. I don't understand why the company could not let us keep our grandfathered plan and just stop offering this plan to new customers or customers upgrading to a phone requiring data. They let me keep my old voice and text plan but not my unlimited data so now i'm paying more for 2g than i was paying for unlimited.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You made a choice to give up your unlimited data.  You could have kept it if you'd paid full retail for your phone or bought one from someplace like ebay.  You also could have used an eligible upgrade you may have had on your plan.  Lots of threads about this on this forum.  And if you moved to the 2g tiered data plan, you're paying one cent more for your 2gb over your unlimited.

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes I did but you missed the point I was trying to make to verizon that we shouldn't have to do that to keep the plan. They are getting 2 more years of our business and if they could let us keep the old voice and text plan they could let us keep our data plan without paying full retail or jumping thru hoops. The fact about it only being one cent more is silly. what I was trying to point out is that they are charging about the same and giving me less product. Basically just another way to rake in more money. Also I made the choice cause I can't afford to pay retail for the phone but I guess you think everyone is rich like you and I'm not the only one complaining about it, check out the forums.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was fine with your reply and, in fact, agreed with it for the most part until I got to your last sentence.  Not sure why you think I'm rich or that I think everyone is.  And yes, a lot of people are complaining.  However, a lot of them are still renewing their contracts/staying with Verizon.  I would think that if they really wanted to make a point with Verizon, that they'd take their money elsewhere and leave.  I know that if I was unhappy with the service or thought I wasn't getting my money's worth, I'd be looking at alternatives.

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I assumed you had money since you suggested buying phone at retail or ebay at more than retail. I agree with leaving but the only companies offering unlimited data are t mobile and Sprint. I have friends that have their service and they get terrible reception and slow data. So there is not really other options. I do believe that letting verizon know that we are unhappy about the changes can help look what happened when they tried to charge a fee to pay your bill by credit card online. there was so many people complaining that they backed off it.

0 Likes