Re: Anyone received damaged, chipped or scratched iPhone 5?
alienquattro

LSglock89 wrote:

Yeah, Im worried about stock too, I'd hate to make a trip and it be worthless. But that is about as productive as Verizon would be from the sounds of it.

Yeah, unfortunately it is. They will give you 1 of 3 options.

1. Suggest that you have to purchase a new replacement at full cost, which will ship around the 19th of Oct.
  2. Suggest that you could go to a Verizon store for the exchange. However, they aren't in stock and don't know when they will be in stock.
  3. If you don't wish to pay the "BS" charge for a new replacement phone (thus paying for the phone twice for a defective phone), they will suggest that you either mail in the phone, or go to the store and return the phone and wait without a phone... or use your old phone, until the inventory arrives on the 19th.

I was on the phone for an  1 and 1/2 hours and this is as far as I got with the Verizon reps. Very frustrating! The kicker is, your contract for a replacement phone with them expires 15 days after activation. So, all of these options stick for the customer because the phones aren't in stock for online orders and won't be until the 19th, thus voiding your 15 day warranty.

0 Likes
LSglock89
Enthusiast - Level 2

So Apple Store is the best bet, because you do have a 90 day AppleCare+...right?

0 Likes
alienquattro

LSglock89 wrote:

So Apple Store is the best bet, because you do have a 90 day AppleCare+...right?

Haven't purchased the extended warranty on the phone yet. Considering it though if this gets resolved. Squaretrade is also solid.

0 Likes
adc27

I myself received a damaged iPhone, I almost considered letting it slide but it kept bothering me and after reading numerous posts about receiving a damaged iPhone 5 I couldn't stand it and called apple, didn't even attempt to call Verizon because I knew they would be useless. Once on the phone with Apple, it was ridiculous to actually talk to a "genius" from the local store only because of the automated system that the Apple store used, but once I said to the computer I wanted to speak to a "human being" he caught my drift and proceeded to place me on hold for a cool 30 minutes until the "human being" spoke to me. I set up an appointment (since apparently walk ins are impossible) for a "genius" for the following day, he did mention I could attempt to have walk in service but they were "quadruple" booked, so he said my safest bet was to go tomorrow. Ya, not happening. I drove the whopping 64 miles to Apple and parked right in front of the store and looked inside and I really couldn't even fathom the fact that he said they were "quadruple" booked. It looked a little busier than usual. Once I asked to speak to someone, they said I couldn't be seen since I had no appointment, and I wasn't having that. I told him I would sit there and wait until I was seen, sure enough within 3 minutes someone asked me how they could help me. I showed him my dented chamfered edge on my Black 16GB iPhone 5, and he said that he was aware of the issue and would be able to help me out. He actually said one of his fellow genius buddies had the same thing and had to swap a phone. So he proceeded to go back to their iPhone lair and brought a brand new phone to me, and I quickly grabbed it from the fresh box and inspected. Instantly saw a dent, and stated I wont take this. He confirmed the dent and 10 minutes after fighting through the iPhone forest he brought me another phone, and again literally the same spot was a dent. Now he needed to have a rendezvous with all of the genius guys and he eventually brought out another phone, and I was growing concerned since he said they only had 4 in stock for replacements. Well my luck prevailed and this one was #scuffgate free and I was a happy customer, for a minute or so. I left after I signed the paperwork (no charge by the way, obviously. I had the phone for all of a day or so.) Left the store and realized my old phone was on, and I know I cant activate a new phone if the existing phone is still turned on. So I park in front again, and turn the phone and and not to my surprise it said I needed my sim card for service. Luckily they didn't lose my phone and a genius quickly got my sim card, with a little embarrassment since he should of known this. He did utter that the Verizon phone is unlocked, and I acted like I didn't know that already, but I still needed my sim for service. Thats my story, hopefully someone that reads this is helped by me, go to Apple to get help, may not be the most friendly folks (in my opinion) but they get stuff done. Oh yea one more thing, Before I drove to Apple I stopped at Verizon and they said they don't have replacement phones and I could give them that one and they'll send me one in a few weeks. No way!

0 Likes
QWQ512
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went to a Verizon store and they told me to call *611 the phone rep told me they will ship me a brand new phone on 10/19 or before. They said once I received my new phone to just send my old one back, I think I am going to wait in hope that by next month apple fixes the scuffing issue.

0 Likes
QWQ512
Enthusiast - Level 3

they give you a new one with the retail box?

0 Likes
22JP22
Enthusiast - Level 2

So ive been reading a lot about how the iphones are coming damaged out of the box. This is worrying me as i havent received my iphone yet. However, when i looked at pictures people had posted online of the scratches and scuffs, all of the iphones were black. I ordered a white iphone. My question is, is this problem also affecting the white iphones or just the black?

0 Likes
QWQ512
Enthusiast - Level 3

Both phones but blacks are the main ones with the scuffs.

0 Likes
MKarias
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told that they will not ship me a phone or give me a credit on the purchase until they receive the original back and inspect it.  Its a B.S.  Nice way to treat the customers, Verizon!!!

alienquattro

22JP22 wrote:

So ive been reading a lot about how the iphones are coming damaged out of the box. This is worrying me as i havent received my iphone yet. However, when i looked at pictures people had posted online of the scratches and scuffs, all of the iphones were black. I ordered a white iphone. My question is, is this problem also affecting the white iphones or just the black?

Mine is a white 64 GB. I'm sure it varies.

0 Likes