Apple Care iPhone 5
WeekendWillie

Is it true that one can acquire Apple Care on the iPhone 5 ONLY at the stores (and not by preordering online?)

This disclaimer was on the Verizon website so evidently that is possibly (frustratingly) the case

²AppleCare+ for iPhone provides coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling. Each incident is subject to a $49 service fee. Purchase of the plan is not required to purchase the covered equipment. For complete details, see terms and conditions at www.apple.com/legal/applecare/applecareplusforiphone.html. Available in store only.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Apple Care iPhone 5
Dahlen
Enthusiast - Level 2

That link states that you can purchase Apple Care + Within the 30 days IF you bring your phone to a apple store to be inspected for damage.  When we ordered the 4S from Verizon last year, apple care wasn't a option online during the pre-order mess, but Apple made exceptions for us.  No telling if they will be willing to do that again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Stevarino

I hope that is just a misprint, but if it's not, you can order online at Apple's website as long as you order within 30 days after purchase.  Here is the link:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

You can order online from the box at the LH bottom corner of the page.

0 Likes
Dahlen
Enthusiast - Level 2

That link states that you can purchase Apple Care + Within the 30 days IF you bring your phone to a apple store to be inspected for damage.  When we ordered the 4S from Verizon last year, apple care wasn't a option online during the pre-order mess, but Apple made exceptions for us.  No telling if they will be willing to do that again.

0 Likes
Stevarino

Good point--I missed that.  If Verizon isn't going to allow online purchases of Apple Care, I'll just look for other options online, like SquareTrade.

0 Likes
Leonard1818
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmmm... good point.  I really want a warranty on mine.  I hope they let you buy it at the same time.

0 Likes
Leonard1818
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just chatted with a CSR who said:

"

CSR: Nice, the new iPhone. You can most certainly purchase Applecare through Verizon Wireless, and it can be done online.

Me: Will you be able to do so if pre-ordering?

CSR: Yes you will, as of tomorrow it will be available and you will have the option for Applecare."

So... for what it's worth.

Dahlen
Enthusiast - Level 2

The big thing to remember about AppleCare + is that it does not cover lost/stolen iPhones.  If you think you could easily see yourself losing or having your phone stolen, then you will probably want to go a different route.  I personally think the plans offered by Verizon are a rip-off, given how much you pay per month (10 - 15 bucks a month), plus the deductible (which I think is $200.00).  If you make a claim, over the course of your two yr contract you will have paid out $450.00 if not more.  Sure, you get peace of mind, but a good screen protector/ sturdy case and a little caution with your device can get you the same piece of mind for a fraction of the cost.  Sorry for the rant.

Good to know about Applecare's availability, thanks.

0 Likes
Leonard1818
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with you.  I think it stinks that the warranty doesn't have an option to cover lost/stolen (with deductible).  I'd rather get an apple replacement than whatever kind you get with the Asurion program or other non-apple programs. 

That's one of the reasons I've gone with the AppleCare + on my iPhone 4s and my wife's new iPad.  I probably reach down and touch my phone in my pocket about every 2-4 minutes.  The chances of me 100% losing it are very slim.  I'm at work in a secured building (only those with a PED can get in) with cameras all over the place.  I don't think I have to worry much about theft at work. 

So I figure with the above being said, I am much more likely to break something myself (which I'm actually finding I'm NOT very likely to do so.  Commuter case and I'm very careful) or have something go bad than to have it be lost/stolen.  I also figured I'd rather get an Apple replacement and/or have to deal directly with Apple than some 3rd party.

I could very well be wrong and wouldn't mind being educated if there's a better route for me.

Incidentally, I did check into putting the iPhone on a homeowners insurance that would protect against fire/theft.  I don't think it covered loss however. 

(now watch, I'll lose my phone or get held up at gunpoint.... dang it!)

0 Likes
WeekendWillie

Wonderful.

If that CSR is correct -- hope so. We'll see tomorrow !

0 Likes