BATTERY LIFE HORRIBLE /Constant Dropped Calls & Unsent text messages !
WirelessDia

So I decided to submiss to pier pressure and purchased the iphone5

along with switching from Tmobile to Verizon (the most touted reliable service)

I never had so many dropped calls in my entire life than I have in the first week

of verizon.   Also another issue I amexperiencing is  texts dont send i have to

resend them or they show sent and never get to the destination. 

The most annoying issue though is the battery life.   I hated my previous android

but the iphone 5 seems worse.  Yes I have shut everything off, wifi, bluetooth , Airplane mode

personal lhotspot, do not disturb (whats the point if you have to have all these off anyway)

but even with all these off , just texting on this phone, i go from 100% battery at 8:00 am and

down to 10% at 2:00.   ???????????????????????

Could this be something with the phone? or the sevice?

Anyone else have any  of these issues?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BATTERY LIFE HORRIBLE /Constant Dropped Calls & Unsent text messages !
waylonrobert

Call Customer Service about your service issues - could be having issues connecting to a tower. Are you in a rural area?

To improve battery life, drain all the way down until the phone shuts off. Plug in, then manually power down. Let it charge to 100%. After that you will see a dramatic improvement, though you might need to repeat the drain process a couple more times.

0 Likes
Leminkel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Waylonrobert has some good points, however I would advise you NOT to drain your battery until your phone shuts off. That is NEVER recommended with the new batteries that are in these new iPhones, as it will have the opposite affect and shorten your battery life. (I wish they had made this more clear - like in HUGE letters on the box) - because this is the norm for how to handle a brand new phone/battery - but not with this phone. I stumbled across an article or thread FROM apple that explained this and had I not read it I would've drained my new battery too. I haven't let my phone die once and I have excellent battery power out of my iP5.

As far as your texting and dropped calls issues - this sounds really odd to me. I've never had a problem with these issues with VZW - so I would definitely call to inquire. I've been a VZW customer for about 7 years. had the iP5 since launch day and haven't dropped a call once. I hope you are able to get some answers and start really enjoying your phone sooner than later!! Best of luck.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Actually, on the Apple website it does say to let your battery drain all the way down at least once a month.  http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Not applicable

"Yes I have shut everything off, wifi, bluetooth , Airplane mode personal lhotspot, do not disturb "

Since you didn't mention - did you also disable the following?  Ads, Diagnostics, Passbook updates?  They are somewhat buried in the settings and new as of OS 6.

The last especially seems to be draining everyone's batteries, based on feedback from turning off things one at a time - I can personally say that was my experience. If you find this helps, you can turn back on some of the earlier things you turned off - you will probably find it will be ok.  I had upgraded to OS6 on my previous iPhone 4, and watched my battery act almost like a countdown timer with no apps running.  I turned off the items below, and got my battery life back.

Settings>>General>>Advertising>>Limit Ad Tracking - turn OFF

Settings>>General>>Diagnostics & Usage - change to "don't send"

Settings>>General>>Cellular>>Passbook Updates - turn OFF

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Slight correction to your locations...

Settings>>General>>ABOUT>>Advertising>>Limit Ad Tracking - turn OFF

Settings>>General>>ABOUT>>Diagnostics & Usage - change to "don't send"

Settings>>General>>Cellular>>Passbook Updates - turn OFF

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you!!  I was going by the top menu when I was in the screen...

0 Likes
Leminkel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow! Thanks for this article. I will have to look into this further, now I'm totally confused!  Thanks again. 🙂

0 Likes
Johnnygreek

Hello to all, I personally have noticed better battery life than the 4S, I'm not a very heavy user, but check emails, sports crores, weather, occasional search, plus I leave my wifi on and screen brightness up, I leave for work at 8am and get back around 6 and still have between 50 and 75%. very pleased, of course it all depends on each individual useres activity and settings. Just my opinion

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi WirelessDia,

First I'd like to say welcome! Be assured that you are now part of the best wireless family and network. I feel your pain regarding the text messaging issues and battery issues outlined in your post. These issues are certainly not the norm.

I'd like to thank all forum members for the great input and tips to prolong the battery life, please try those tips an let us know how your battery life improves. The only questions I would add regarding your battery life are:
How many bars of signal do you see on your phone?
Do you see searching for service displayed on your screen at any time?
Do experience this dropped calls and text messaging issues inside your home/office only?
Please answer the above questions and provide your ZIP code and we'll be able to provide options to resolve your concerns.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes