Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BEWARE: Pray you don't get a bad iPhone 5
ashenfang

I am not sure if anyone else has run into this but I thought I would share my experience so others can be informed.

We pre-ordered two iPhone 5's and received them Friday Sept. 21. Activation went okay and the phones worked properly until my wife's phone started having a weird issue with the screen. The backlight would dim all the way off randomly and touching the screen or pressing the home button doesn't do anything. Long story short - it was deemed a hardware problem after a restore as "new phone" did not fix the issue. I decided to take the phone into the local Corporate Store and explained the issues. Of course they didn't have any phones in stock but what retail rep said next floored me......

Rep: "We can place an order for a new replacement phone but you will have to wait until stock becomes filled AND YOU MUST PAY FULL RETAIL PRICE OF THE PHONE - your money will then be returned to you after you receive the new phone and the old one is returned."

Me: "Um what?!" "Your kidding, right?"

Rep: "No sorry. It's apples policy to combat theft and fraud. To keep people from getting a "free phone" and not returning the defective one."

The store was closing so I didn't have much time to argue over it so I left and called customer service. Where again, I was told the same thing.

These are the point I brought up -

I PAID for a new phone - new phone doesn't work - NEW replacement phone should be exchanged free of charge - old phone returned

A "Like new replacement" is unacceptable."

Verizon has the ability to lock down a ESN/SIM card so that the phone could never be used again should it not be returned

Why would I pay for something that I have already paid for?

After asking for a supervisor - speaking to one - and an hour later;

A new replacement iPhone 5 will shipped out when it becomes available (10/27) but I still had to pay $213.99 which will be charged to my credit card when the phone ships and refunded when they receive the defective one.

This to me, this is still unacceptable that a customer has to pay another "upgrade" price for a replacement phone. Keep in mind I am well within the 14 day period and this was a defective device.

The only other option given was to ship them back the phone and my money would be refunded. Then order another upgrade iPhone 5 and wait 30-45 days without a phone for it to show up.

I have been a customer with Verizon for over 10 years and pay $300/mo for service with them and this is the best they can do!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BEWARE: Pray you don't get a bad iPhone 5
iDroid

Even if you have Apple CAre + they make you do the same thing you need to leave a deposit for phone so they put a hold on your account for the full price of phone.

0 Likes
gina7239

When they see I have bill to account Verizon say you need to pay another 2yr contract price to get one if your within 14 days. Not just an apple thing it's a Verizon thing.

0 Likes
gina7239

Why don't you just go to the apple store so they don't charge you.

0 Likes
rosenberg

Sorry to tell you, that is a load of you know what. I bought a 32 gb 4S last year and decided after I didn't need all the space so I took it back and traded for a 16gb, the store was out of stock but they put my order in and I returned the old one with no "full retail" junk. I'm sorry to say this but a lot of Verizon's customer service reps are either incompetent or misinformed.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Novice

ashenfang wrote:

I am not sure if anyone else has run into this but I thought I would share my experience so others can be informed.

We pre-ordered two iPhone 5's and received them Friday Sept. 21. Activation went okay and the phones worked properly until my wife's phone started having a weird issue with the screen. The backlight would dim all the way off randomly and touching the screen or pressing the home button doesn't do anything. Long story short - it was deemed a hardware problem after a restore as "new phone" did not fix the issue. I decided to take the phone into the local Corporate Store and explained the issues. Of course they didn't have any phones in stock but what retail rep said next floored me......

Rep: "We can place an order for a new replacement phone but you will have to wait until stock becomes filled AND YOU MUST PAY FULL RETAIL PRICE OF THE PHONE - your money will then be returned to you after you receive the new phone and the old one is returned."

Me: "Um what?!" "Your kidding, right?"

Rep: "No sorry. It's apples policy to combat theft and fraud. To keep people from getting a "free phone" and not returning the defective one."

The store was closing so I didn't have much time to argue over it so I left and called customer service. Where again, I was told the same thing.

These are the point I brought up -

I PAID for a new phone - new phone doesn't work - NEW replacement phone should be exchanged free of charge - old phone returned

A "Like new replacement" is unacceptable."

Verizon has the ability to lock down a ESN/SIM card so that the phone could never be used again should it not be returned

Why would I pay for something that I have already paid for?

After asking for a supervisor - speaking to one - and an hour later;

A new replacement iPhone 5 will shipped out when it becomes available (10/27) but I still had to pay $213.99 which will be charged to my credit card when the phone ships and refunded when they receive the defective one.

This to me, this is still unacceptable that a customer has to pay another "upgrade" price for a replacement phone. Keep in mind I am well within the 14 day period and this was a defective device.

The only other option given was to ship them back the phone and my money would be refunded. Then order another upgrade iPhone 5 and wait 30-45 days without a phone for it to show up.

I have been a customer with Verizon for over 10 years and pay $300/mo for service with them and this is the best they can do!

It doesnt matter whether you have been with them for ten year or ten minutes, that is the process. hate to break it to you. If a new phone has to be ordered, you are billed for it and will get your refund when the old one is returned. full retail is the wrong term however to use - its the 'full upgrade" amount - which you were charged. And it does prevent fraud. If you order the second phone, and its not charged, and you send back the original and are refunded that amount, guess what? You essentially upgraded for free. Hope that helps. If not, nothing we can do for you. And its not unreasonable.

0 Likes