Can I activate an iPhone 5 from Europe?
rdtsmith

Forgive me. Coming from Europe but bringing an unlocked iPhone 5 that was purchased at an American Apple store. Maybe I miss it, but I wanted to purchase a nano sim for it on Verizon. Is this not possible? I see options to purchase phones with orepaid sim, but I do not see just sim. Can anyone help me find or is not possible?

Grazie,

Rachel

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I cannot use a pre purchased iPhone 5 with prepaid?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon Wireless network is a CDMA based network for voice calls.  The networks in Europe are GSM based. The two network types are incompatible. You can look at the other GSM carriers in the USA for the prepaid options available to you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon Wireless network is a CDMA based network for voice calls.  The networks in Europe are GSM based. The two network types are incompatible. You can look at the other GSM carriers in the USA for the prepaid options available to you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rdtsmith

Oh thank you! I had someone tell me that the verizon iPhone 5s take sims. I was mistaken. Thank you for informing me! Rachel

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon Wireless iPhone 5 does take a SIM card, but it is for the 4G LTE data network. The SIM card also handles the voice and 3G network as well.

However the physical hardware is configured differently to accommodate the CDMA/LTE network used on Verizon Wireless. Your GSM only device wouldn't be compatible with this network.

0 Likes