Can I activate the iPhone5 on a different line without a SIM-switch?
houser
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been searching for the answer to "Do I have to have a SIM-switch?" for awhile now. There are already over a dozen threads and different people keep giving different answers. To complicate things, even Verizon Customer Service is providing what appears to be drastically different answers. To help anyone else who may be wondering about this, I've complied a list of the Verizon Rep answers below:

Here are links to Verizon support saying that you will be able to activate the phone on any line when it arrives without a replacement SIM.

ChaunceyM_VZW wrote:

"Even though the transfer upgrade option isn't available during pre-orders, you will be able to upgrade using the eligible line. Once the phone arrives, you can select the number that it will be used on. You can visitvzw.com to make the change."

ChaunceyM_VZW wrote:

"Once your phones arrive you can go to vzw.com and activate the iPhone 5 on the number of your choice."

ChaunceyM_VZW wrote:

"I can confirm that you're able to use the upgrade from an eligible line and use the phone on the number of your choice when the arrives. Simply complete your purchase as normal. Once the phone is delivered you can go to vzw.com and activate the phone on the number you select."

ChaunceyM_VZW wrote:

"You have the option to upgrade to the iPhone 5 using any eligible line. Once the phone arrives you're can activate the phone on the number of your choice."

ChaunceyM_VZW wrote:

"You can utilize the upgrade from another number and activate the phone on your number!"

Here is the same Verizon support rep saying that you are required to activate the phone on the line you ordered it before you can transfer.

ChaunceyM_VZW wrote:

"You will be required to

• order the phone on Line B
  • receive the phone
  • activate it on Line B
  • Reactivate it on Line A
  • Reactivate Line B's original phone on Line B.

to transfer the upgrade to another number. I know it's a pain, but your new phone will be worth the trouble."

Here is a different Verizon support rep saying that if you used MyVerizon to transferred an upgrade no additional steps are necessary and the phone will activate for the line that the upgrade was switched to. However, she says that if you didn't utilize the 'transfer upgrade' function, then contrary to Chauncey's answer that you can activate on any line via vzw.com, Vanessa reports that you must obtain a new SIM card in order to upgrade a different line.

VanessaS_VSWSupport wrote:

"The SIM card does come programmed for the phone number it was ordered on. However, if you process order as an Alternate Upgrade, meaning, you requested to have it transferred to your line, the SIM will be programmed to your phone number. If it's not, you will be able to get a new SIM card from VZW or the Apple Store."

"Simply select [a] number to upgrade, then select "Transfer Discount", and then select your mobile number, and proceed as normal. This way, you will not have to get a new SIM card, as the SIM card will come programmed with the number it was ordered on.

"If the new phone was ordered under a different line, the SIM card will come pre-installed with that phone number; therefore, you will need a SIM card for your number if the new phone will be on your line. If you did an Alternate Upgrade, using another eligibility, but ordered it on your line, the SIM card will come pre-installed with your number and you'll be able to activate it on your line, no problem."

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I activate the iPhone5 on a different line without a SIM-switch?
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

I called VZW customer care at 1-800-922-0204 and talked at length with a tech (I think named Nick). He was very specific that I did not need to replace the SIM in order to transfer the phone number.  He said to call customer care from another phone, do not turn on the 5, and customer care will be able to transfer the line online and lead me through the process. I do not need the basic phone that the upgrade was done on and that basic phone will not in any way be affected.  He said the SIM was tied to the order and not a specific phone line.  I also called a local store manager who was totally clueless about the process. I will certainly call customer care when the 5 arrives.

DAC350

I agree with Schnauzer on this one.  I am by no means a VZW rep nor do I have any experience with this.  However logically I don't know how a sim that is pre-installed already could have the phone number pre-loaded on it as well.  I would imagine the sims are installed during the final packaging phase, then the box is sealed up and ready to ship.  I can't see how VZW would have any way to activate the sim that is pre-installed without powering up the phone that is in a sealed box.  I imagine what happens is when you open the box, turn on the phone and complete the activation process that is what programs the line number to the nano sim.  I'm just thinking logically, but then again I could be wrong!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Houser,

Sorry about the delay in our response. I know the information regarding the iPhone 5's sim card is confusing so let me go ahead and clear that up for you. The activation process for the sim card depends on how you ordered the phone. If you order the iPhone for line A but wanted it active on line B and you selected the "Transfer Upgrade" option when you processed the order, you will not need to complete any additional steps. Just power on the phone, activate it and you'll be all set. The phone will be programed to the correct line.

If you ordered the iPhone 5 for line A but really want to activate it on line B and did not choose "Transfer Upgrade"  you will have to complete the following steps.
1. Activate the phone on line A.
2. Remove the sim card.
4. Complete the ESN change to activate iPhone and sim card on line B by going to www.vzw.com/myverizon or by calling our customer service department at 1-800-922-0204. 
6. Re-insert the sim card and activate phone B the next day. (This steps needs to be completed because the sim card is going to be reused)

Thanks for the great question!

NidiaA_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

Or you can try what I did.

Ordered the phone on my wife's line which was eligible for an upgrade, with the plan to switch the IP 5 to my line and she would take my IP 4.

BEFORE turning the IP 5 on or trying to activate it, I called customer service.

The CSR ( a very helpful and knowledgeable CSR named Pamela) switched the IP 5 to my line and my IP 4 to my wife's line.

Then activated the IP 4 on here line, which deactivated it from my line, and then activated the IP 5 on my line.

This all took maybe 15 minutes (most of which was spent waiting for the iPhones to boot up and activate).

A much better approach than activating on the ordered line and having to wait 24 hours (essentially without a phone) to switch lines. I had both phones working on the desired lines from day 1.

The key is to NOT turn on or activate the IPhone 5 before you call VZW customer service to have them switched.

0 Likes
Bildo818

I need a VZW rep answer this please, if possible. My friend at work is looking to get the iphone 4 for free. I want to have her upgrade to the iphone 5, and pay her for it. Then switch phones since I have the 32gb iphone 4.

Is this possible? We have 2 seperate plans with verizon. She is just a friend and looking for a free iphone 4. I have a 32gb iphone 4 I can just give to her, if I buy her iphone 5.

Are we able to activate / deactivate the phones on our respected lines/plans?

0 Likes
Jsmack75

You can use the same sim card. What worked for me is: upgrade was for line A. i activated on line A and waited untilI could make a valid phone call (first 4 didnt go through). I shut off the iphone and went on to my verizon and reactivated old phone on line A. Wait 24 hours then with phone off pop out sim card from Iphone (paper clip works). Go on My Verizon and activate it it on line B. Put sim card back in and power up. It takes a while for service to activate.

0 Likes