Can I use a Japanese SIM card while still under Verizon's plan?
satopi

I recently moved to Japan and I am completely lost with what to do about my phone. I am not very savvy with phones so please pardon any stupidity.

My current situation is that my phone is not registered under a Japanese phone company because I am under a family plan by Verizon in the U.S.. That said, it immobilizes me from accessing the internet without wi-fi (with the exception of Starbucks in Japan--it seems that I have to be under a Japanese plan to use their wi-fi).

Upon making a visit to Bicqolo's BicSim company, I cannot simply get a SIM card; I must also sign up with their monthly program. Is this normal? Because while I will be living in Japan for the next few years, I wanted to stay under my benefactor's plan in Verizon. I would like to know if that is an option, or if I have to cancel my Verizon plan and switch to some other Japanese phone company.

I would appreciate any help!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use a Japanese SIM card while still under Verizon's plan?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You can suspend with billing and continue to pay so your contract doesn't get extended or suspend without billing, but that in turn extends your contract for the number of months you don't pay.

You could cancel your Verizon account - if you're on an edge or device payment plan you could simply pay off the balance of the phone. If you're on a 2 year contract you could calculate what your early termination fee would be - might be cheaper than paying for an account you're not using.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have the best option available so you can continue using your phone while in Japan, satopi. Prior to leaving for Japan, did you leave your service active or suspend your line using one of our temporary options? Your iPhone 5S is a global capable device, so you will be able to use a local SIM card. However, depending on the local carrier, they may require you to purchase a plan as if you are signing up for their prepay service. Activating your device on their network will not disrupt your service with Verizon Wireless.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It sounds like you just need to find a compatible phone company for what you need. Just remove the Verizon SIM card. You may have to change some network settings or refresh them etc. but it would be like buying a pre-paid card here only you're looking for one there.

0 Likes
satopi

My service is temporarily suspended, and if I do start a new plan with another company and replace my current SIM card, will my phone be erased from Verizon's plan?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

NO, as long as you keep the account suspended and paid up.  There are limits to how long you can suspend. 

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Your Verizon service is on the SIM card. Removing it doesn't affect your account status.

satopi

Ohh, I see. And there is no way to take my service out of Verizon's plan permanently? Do I just have to temporarily suspend my phone for the entirety of my stay in Japan?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You can suspend with billing and continue to pay so your contract doesn't get extended or suspend without billing, but that in turn extends your contract for the number of months you don't pay.

You could cancel your Verizon account - if you're on an edge or device payment plan you could simply pay off the balance of the phone. If you're on a 2 year contract you could calculate what your early termination fee would be - might be cheaper than paying for an account you're not using.

0 Likes