Can I use an Italian SIM Card in my iPhone 5S?
Eartley

Hello,

I’m an American exchange student studying abroad in Italy this semester. I currently have my contracted American Verizon Wireless iPhone 6 that I use often in areas with Wifi and for taking pictures. I also have international calling/texting and data but they are very expensive so I use them sparingly. I read online that the iPhone 5 and newer can be used with foreign SIM cards without having to get them unlocked by a third party. If this is true, I feel it would be advantageous to purchase an Italian PAY-AS-YOU-GO SIM Card with texting/calling/data etc. and insert it in my old iPhone 5S that I brought with me as a backup for my iPhone 6. Therefore, I would keep my iPhone 6 and American phone number but also have an Italian phone number on my 5S. In other words, I’d be carrying two phones.

Before I go purchase such a SIM Card, can anyone confirm that it is true that I can use my iPhone 5S with an Italian SIM Card? Also, does anyone have any experience with this and would like to share which are the best companies over here to purchase such a SIM Card?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use an Italian SIM Card in my iPhone 5S?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Eartley! That sounds like an amazing opportunity for you! I am glad you are going to be able to study in Italy. The iPhone 6 is an excellent phone to travel with and you should have no problems using a local SIM card while you are in Italy. While I have not been to Italy myself and can not make recommendations for service providers out there, our Global Support Team may be able to help out! Here is where you can get in touch with them http://vz.to/1DgQ1IJ . Have a great trip!

bryans_vzw
Follow us at Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Can I use an Italian SIM Card in my iPhone 5S?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Eartley! That sounds like an amazing opportunity for you! I am glad you are going to be able to study in Italy. The iPhone 6 is an excellent phone to travel with and you should have no problems using a local SIM card while you are in Italy. While I have not been to Italy myself and can not make recommendations for service providers out there, our Global Support Team may be able to help out! Here is where you can get in touch with them http://vz.to/1DgQ1IJ . Have a great trip!

bryans_vzw
Follow us at Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes