Can a SIM be moved from one iPhone to another?
Jerryws1431

I've just been told that, if my iPhone is lost or stollen, that the SIM can be removed and used in another phone if this switch happens before I report it as lost using "Find iPhone." I have a new 5S and the SIM, I think, is locked.

I would think that this would only work if the SIM had been unlocked using a PUK.

Your thoughts please.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can a SIM be moved from one iPhone to another?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the clarification, Jerryws1431. And I can understand your concern. If the SIM is removed and put into another compatible phone before the SIM and phone are reported stolen or Find My iPhone is used, then yes, the SIM would most likely go through the activation as normal. Unfortunately, if the SIM is removed from the phone before you have a chance to use Find My iPhone, the phone would no longer be active and Find My iPhone would become unusable. Apple's design of Find My iPhone would require a connection to the network to be a success, and a SIMless phone will not have a connection.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jerryws1431,

I would never want to see your great device lost or stolen. In the case that it is, you can use Find My iPhone to lock and wipe your device. I would also recommend logging in to your My Verizon and reporting your device lost/stolen.  This will ensure that the sim card cannot be swapped into another device. I hope this info helps out. Keep us posted if you need anything else.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jerryws1431

But, can a SIM be used in a different phone before the phone is reported as stolen, before it is locked using Find My iPhone, before Verizon is notified? If so, how do I lock the SIM in my phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the clarification, Jerryws1431. And I can understand your concern. If the SIM is removed and put into another compatible phone before the SIM and phone are reported stolen or Find My iPhone is used, then yes, the SIM would most likely go through the activation as normal. Unfortunately, if the SIM is removed from the phone before you have a chance to use Find My iPhone, the phone would no longer be active and Find My iPhone would become unusable. Apple's design of Find My iPhone would require a connection to the network to be a success, and a SIMless phone will not have a connection.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Jerryws1431

OK, would locking the SIM eliminate the possibility of using it in another phone? If so, how do I lock the SIM?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for taking time to work with us, Jerryws1431. The operating system does not have an option to encrypt the SIM. If we were to suspend the line after a report of it being lost or stolen the SIM card number and the current device ID would be included. If they were to use your SIM their phone would be shut down once the suspension occurs. We certainly value your security and want to ensure no unauthorized charges would occur in that situation. If ever needed http://www.vzw.com/myverizoncan be used to suspend your line.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes