Can you upgrade an non smartphone line to the iPhone 5, than move it to an unlimited data line?
xray328

Here's what I'm trying to do:

We have three iPhone 4's and two basic phones (5 lines total).  I want to upgrade the basic phones to the iPhone 5 with a 2gb option, then when they come, move those phones to the lines that currently have unlimited data, then move the basic phone back to the other lines, and then cancel the 2gb option.

Would that work?

I've been told it would, but then a csr told me it wouldn't.  That the data option travels with the phone. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can you upgrade an non smartphone line to the iPhone 5, than move it to an unlimited data line?
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

yes it will work.. i dont know what CSR told you it wouldnt but they were wrong. pretty much what forces you to give up your data plan is signing a new contract on the line with the plan, anything else should work fine

0 Likes
Re: Can you upgrade an non smartphone line to the iPhone 5, than move it to an unlimited data line?
xray328

Here's the whole conversation:

This rep didn't agree:

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Brittany'

Brittany: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service.  May I help you with your order today?

You: hi i have some question about upgrading the lines on my account

Brittany: Cool! I will be more than happy to help you get upgraded.

You: question one: if i order iPhone 5 on line 1 and 5 (which are non smartphone right now) then once i get the iphones can i change those iphone to other two lines (which has unlimited data rightnow)?

Brittany: Unfortunately, no. When you upgrade a line with unlimited data, you have to change that option. Even though you are upgrading different lines, when you activate it on the line with unlimited data, it is like you upgraded that line and switched the upgrade dates.

You: What if I upgrade it with the 2 gb option? Then when the phones come, switch them to the unlimited lines and cancel the 2gb plan on the other lines?

Brittany: The only way to keep unlimited data is to purchase a phone at full retail price.

You: So lets take this step by step.

You: What happens if I upgrade the non smart phone lines to the iPhone5 with 2gb data option?

You: I pay $199 each right?

Brittany: Yes.

Brittany: You pay $199 if you are upgrading to the Iphone 5-16GB.

You: Ok, so then I call soon after getting them and tell the agent to please switch the iPhone 5's to the current unlimited data plan.

You: You can't do that?

Brittany: Those lines will then have the 2GB options like you picked.

Brittany: I don't know if you received my last message. I do apologize for that. I stated that the only way to keep unlimited data is to get a phone at full retail price.

You: It was my understanding that because I didn't upgrade those lines (technically) I'd be able to keep unlimited data on those lines.

Brittany: No, I do apologize for this misinformation. The only way to keep unlimited data is to pay full retail price for a phone.

0 Likes
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

yeah and there are vzw reps who  have posted on here saying you can do it not to mention the countless number of people who have already done it with the samsung galaxy 3. you have to keep in mind you were talking to a sales CSR not one that handles swaps. also its possible that the rep you spoke to doesnt even work for verzion (many of them dont)

0 Likes
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

see this thread from about a week ago

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/870652#870652

0 Likes
pokmonmasterpoke

You shouldnt lose you unlimited data doing it that way, you basicly just do the swtich the sim card deal. But the problem going this way is the size of the sim cards are different, and you either have to buy new ones to swap them out, or verizon can just change the numbers in the system. Need to talk to a rep/person who an can do it to make sure.

0 Likes
Pariyah
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's my scenario and what I was told.

If anyone is on an older family plan like I am, here's the solution that came straight from Verizon customer service. You can call them to verify.

I'm currentyly on the 1400 minute family plan. Have 2 smartphones (with Grandfathered unlimited data) and 2 basic phones on the plan. We wanted to upgrade and of course like everyone did not want to lose unlimited data. So I called Verizon 3 or 4 times and threatened to leave when finally I got to the right person.

First, you have to be eligible for upgrade. Transfer or use the upgrade for one of the basic phones on the basic phone line. You'll have to go through the whole process of selecting data for that phone etc... Select the minimum for everything. If you order online your total should come to $349 for the 32gb i5 after taxes and fees. Once you receive the iPhone, you'll activate it on the basic phone line. Then turn straight around and reactivate the basic phone on that same line. The plan will go back to a basic plan for that phone and will leave the i5 open to use on any other line on your plan. Then just transfer your phone line to that phone and you're all set. No change in that lines plan, just a change in phone, thus your unlimited data remains.

Double bonus for me, I'm on a promotional $9.99 per month for unlimited data on my line. It doesn't end until Feb. 2013 so I don't loose that either!

Only question I have now after reading other posts and forums is do I actually activate the phone to the basic phone line or once I receive the phone do I activate it on my smartphone line? Seems to be conflicting opinions on this!!

***UPDATE: 9/20/12  9:54am EST

Just had a chat with Verizon online. Below is what I was told:

info: Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales
  representative to assist you with your order.  Thank you for your
  patience.

info: You are now chatting with 'Faith'

Faith: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat
  service.  May I help you with your order today?

Chris: Hi I recently received advice from customer
  service about a method to use to keep my unlimited data for the smartphone
  lines. After reading some of the forums i'm seeing conflicting info. I'd like
  to verify with you what I was told

Faith: The only way to keep that unlimited data
  will be to buy the phone at full retail price

Chris: I was told by 2 different reps that i could
  update one of the basic phone lines on our plan to the iPhone 5

Chris: then when i get the phone activate it on the
  basic line

Chris: then, reactivate the basic phone on that line
  and it would open up the i5 to use on any other line

Faith: Yes you can do that as well if that line
  has an upgrade you can put it on the line that has the unlimited data and
  keep that

Chris: the conflicting comments i see is do I activate
  the i5 on the basic line once i receive it and then switch it over to the
  unlimited data line?

Chris: Or when i get the phone can i just activate it
  on the unlimited data line?

Faith: You will activate the phone on the line with
  the unlimited data when you get the phone however you will need to call into
  customer service to do so

Chris: and in doing that i will NOT lose my unlimited
  data? Because i'm not changing that lines plan. Just the phone. Is that
  correct?

Chris: Still there?

Faith: Yes I am here and no you will not lose the
  data that is why you need to call in once the phone comes and let customer
  service activate it for you

Chris: Gotcha. Thank you so much for the help. Last
  question. Once i activate the phone on my unlimited data line, do i have to
  do anything on the basic line or will nothing change for it since the i5 was
  not activated on that line?

Faith: That line should remain the same since it
  will not be activated on that line. Are you ready to begin and I will help
  you?

Chris: I haven't received the i5 yet. Status says it's
  scheduled to ship Oct. 5th. I've already ordered based on the other reps
  telling me about this process to keep the unlimited data. I just wanted to
  make sure this was acurate prior to activating the phone when i receive it.

Faith: Do you have any further questions today?

Chris: No you have been very helpful. Thank you for
  all the help!!

Faith: It has been my pleasure to chat with you
  today! Please feel free to re-open the chat session if you need further
  assistance . Thank you and have a great day!

Faith: Sorry

0 Likes
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

i like faith better than Britney

rusavvy

Can you give us an update once you receive the device?  I am interested to see how this ends up working! Smiley Happy

Thanks!

0 Likes
tduval75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I have that same exact 1400 Family plan and two basic phones and two Smartphones like you have.  I will be trying this method although I have not ordered my iphone 5 yet.

My question is why can't the activation to the unlimited plan be done online once hte phone is received? I was also curious as to why it even needed to be activated on the basic phone at all.  And what is the deal with these Sim cards.  If I buy the iphone 5 for a current basic phone do they somehow program the sim card to that specific number/line even before I actually activate it?  We have a lot of kids so I've had to switch phones around quite often and I've always been able to accomplish everything online although if it means keeping unlimited data then making the call will be worth it.

I'm very interested on how this works out for you.

THanks

0 Likes