Re: Data Usage Spike
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us posted muvotx! Since the application background data has just been eliminated please test for a few days and keep us posted of any inconsistencies, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Mathew... since taking these measures my data usage has dropped CONSIDERABLY and is now in-line with what I would expect, being on my wifi network 98% of the time.

My YT video of the topic HERE:  You guys really need to publish this information and actively warn 5, 5s and 5c customers... before they encounter over-charges for unsuspecting data-usage.  The older 4s does not behave this way, neither do other 5/5s/5c phones on the AT&T, Sprint or Tmobile networks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks... I have no stuck mail trying to get out.

Here is my YT video on the topic.  I like Verizon and am happy with my service, I hope you don't end up with too many upset customers over this.  Since taking "better" control over my smart phone, my data usage is now much more reflective of how I use the phone and network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us updated muvotx! We're glad to hear everything has evened out. Please keep us posted if we can provide any additional assistance in the future, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Well... you (Verizon as a corporation... not just the CS representatives) really shouldn't be too glad about this at all.  I am not exactly pleased I have had to go through all this, to get to this point.  A "smart phone" is supposed to look out for, protect and make life easier for its user.... Like my wifes old 4s has done for here the past 2+ years.   That for me has not been the case here on the 5c. I have essentially dialed back 95% of the "smart" features of the phone to make it a dumb phone, in order to conserve data use.  While I am personally somewhat tolerant of this, I would be PISSED if I were actually in the market for an actual feature-rich "smart" phone.

my YT video and follow up discussion comments pretty much summarize my opinions on the matter.  BUT FURTHERMORE, I DO NOT OPENLY RECOMMEND an iPhone on VERIZON to anyone.  Not everyone wants to pay $$$ for a 8G~unlimited data plan, or alternately go through all the steps I have.  I recommend an iphone on AT&T or Sprint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

0 Likes
over-billing

I tried accessing web-chat, but to no avail. We have contacted Verizon on several occasions about data usage. We navigate a few pages and our data jumps by 100's of Megabytes. Just yesterday, I checked the data usage upon turning on the device and it registered 1.221 G. We navigated the internet for only one hour. No video streaming. No audio streaming. No downloads. No uploads. Nothing other than browsing the net. Today our device registers almost 1.9 G. Are you suggesting we used almost 700 MB of data? That's the equivalent of streaming a full-length movie!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

over-billing- Since data usage is not measured in time, the hour spent browsing the internet doesn't necessarily mean that the usage isn't invalid. How many sites do you visit? Also, are there any ads and additional pop-ups on these websites? You can also check your data manager, depending on which device you are using, to see if apps in the background are open. Is this a phone or jetpack?

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Kevin1911
Enthusiast - Level 2

As an electrical engineer who is also a proficient programmer, accurately measuring data usage is NOT a difficult problem to solve!   I called Verizon got the runaround.

Verizon ... WHAT SAY YOU?   Possible explanation is that they're getting an extra $20/month out of me; multiply that by millions  of users and you're looking at $10-100+ million per month!!    

MY TEST:  At the end of the billing cycle, Verizon shows my two teenage daughters and I use more data than the sum of what the three iPhones measure. At the start of the billing cycle my teenage daughters and I reset our data usage to zero.  We all have the same iPhone5 with roaming disabled.  Two phones are running iOS 7.0.4 and the third is running iOS 6.

Signed,

NOT HAPPY

0 Likes
Kevin1911
Enthusiast - Level 2

RUN this simple test:

1. At the start of the billing cycle, reset the data usage on the phone(s) to zero.
  2. At the end of the billing cycle, compare the data usage on the phone(s) to what Verizon claims.

Verizon appears to have a problem overcharging for data, and don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it.

0 Likes
Primo805
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's exactly what I did this morning, because last month, my phone indicated 1.57gb usage for the month, but Verizon indicated a little under 6gb,  I called last month they didn't have an answer, except to keep an eye on it and call again., well my cycle started this morning, my phone was zero usage, online was zero usage, I streamed one show, turned my phone back to Wi-Fi waiting a couple hours,  Now Verizon online indicated .67gb usage while my phone indicated half as much.  I'm truly feeling ripped off,  I would think my phone would be more accurate since it indicates exactly where the usage is going.  I used to stream shows, movies all the time and my usage was never this high.  From what I've been reading, I don't seem to be the only one.  I've been a customer since 1996, and for the first time I'm really feeling upset, its obvious they are over charging so that people could buy more monthly GB, but actually use less data, now I'm afraid of streaming anything, since a movie will take up over 1gb, where as before it would be half or less.