Re: Data Usage accruing while on WiFi?
suz_greeneyes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response, but I am not having connectivity issues. My

problem is, I am accruing DATA usage WHILE on wifi. My wifi connection is

very good and I never have a problem with it, anywhere. But The 4G

notification icon is ALWAYS present even when on wifi. I'm guessing it's

there because it's also using data on the 4G network at the same time.

THAT is my problem.

SUE

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

Plowman

Me too. I did countless tests checking my data usage. I was able to turn off cell data and my phone would not use data while on wifi. I worked with apple before finally changing SIM card. That hasn't completely stopped data while on wifi, but I'm barely trickling the data usage, not like it was gobbling it before. I'd say see if you can change SIM card.

0 Likes
Not applicable

As I stated above, turn off cellular data and roaming while in a wifi situation. it takes seconds to do.

I looked at my HTC One and noted the 4G LTE flash the little arrows up and down, obvious it was using cellular data but I have unlimited both on T-Mobile and with Verizon on my iphone.

I however would caution those with limited data to turn off cellular data.

To the other person in this thread with a HTC One simply set to have your apps update over wifi only and that should help your situation.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi suz.greeneyes,

I understand your concerns regarding your data usage and the way your 4G & WiFi indicators are displaying on your phone. My wife had same indicators on at the same time on her iPhone 5 after an update and we were able to bring indicators back to normal by doing a hard reset. Please give it a try http://bit.ly/TDltcJ and test. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
wethen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have same issue and have talked countless time to Verizon and Apple to no avail.  I just keep getting slapped with data overages each month.  We have tried to reset, turning off cell data (which is not practical for a college student) and still my kid goes over each month.  She is connected to wifi while in her dorm but somehow overnight she is using tons of data!  Seriously?  I'm about to my limit and may just pay the early termination and switch to carrier who will give me unlimited data

Not applicable

Following are a few more considerations regarding data use.

1. If you have an email account integrated with the iOS mail client, please make sure there is not an email sitting in pending status. This email will continue to try to resend which will use data. If a pending email is found, it can be deleted and resent to mitigate the issue.

2. Verify WiFi connectivity and stability: Make sure the WiFi signal is strong and can maintain a connection. If WiFi is lost, cellular data will be used.

3. Moving from WiFi to cellular while in the process of downloading: This can be any queued item such as app updates, iCloud downloads/syncing, iTunes Match or Podcast download. The phone will continue to download in progress or pending items when moving from WiFi to cellular coverage. For example, if 5 full albums are queued to be downloaded from your iTunes Match/iCould account at home and you leave WiFi before the downloads have finished; the rest of that download will continue over the cellular network.

For iPhones, in addition to the ability to turn cellular data on and off for the entire device, iOS devices also have additional cellular data settings for specific services.

1. Settings>General>Cellular>iTunes: This setting impacts the downloading of iTunes Store content. If you do not wish to download iTunes content over cellular, you can switch this setting to off.

2. Settings>iTunes and App Stores>Use Cellular Data: This setting impacts app downloads and app/content updates. If you do not wish to download apps or updates over cellular, you can switch this setting to off.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Plowman,

Good afternoon. I am sorry to learn of the difficulties you are experiencing with data usage on your daughters phone. Allow us to get to the bottom of this because we certainly do not want to lose you.

Does your daugther have the iPhone 5? If not which make and model phone does she have and what software version is she running? Which data plan are you currently on? By any chance have you asked your daugther if she has her mobile hotspot turned on?

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
wethen
Enthusiast - Level 2

She has iphone5 and has had this problem since day one. I get overages each month and have talked to both apple and Verizon about the issue And no one has a solution

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
foghorn300
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to add to this conversation and point out that I am another iphone5 user that is experiencing the problem of utilizing data from my data plan while I am connected to wifi in my home.  I have called Verizon Customer Service and was told that the only way to manage this was to turn off my cellular data each time I come home, then turn on my cellular data each time I leave my house.  Are they kidding me?  They are actually suggesting that I go through this process every time I come and go from my home.  This is an unacceptable "solution".

What is more, I asked the representative what will happen when we all receive the iOS7 update in a a few days?  She told me that the phone will "magically know" to download this software update via wifi?  So, I am now led to believe that my phone is capable of deciding when to use cellular data and when to use wifi while I am in my home and connected to wifi.

The cynical part of me believes that Verizon has this set up intentionally hoping we all use a bit more data and go over our data limits, as this is now the most profitable portion of their business.

Verizon, please fix this issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wethen, no one likes unexpected additional charges on their wireless bill. Let's take a deep dive into this issue. I recommend that you master reset that phone to ensure that there's no software issue causing this unexplainable data usage. Here's the steps: http://vz.to/1eq3bbk Keep us posted.

Lasina_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes