Data usage error?
jlb500
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm a new Verizon customer and have thoroughly enjoyed the service with Verizon for the two days leading up to today. However, when I noticed how much data I had gone through in the last 24 hours with moderate internet use, I'm beginning to feel a bit queasy about leaving AT&T. 

On the LTE network, I have on three separate occasions documented the NYTimes home web page as costing over 15MB of data on the LTE network.  I called Verizon twice about this and the agents would not say this is abnormal (um, it is ABNORMAL).  When I switched over to 3G on the iPhone 5, the same NYTimes web page took 1 MB to load (probably closer to normal, though that seems a bit high, too).

Anyone else having the same issue?  Any thoughts on resolution?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data usage error?
Roseanne315
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think u missed out...Verizon released a software update that addressed iPhone 5 issue of continuing to run up data charges even when not on LTE... my plan is intact, my data usage is in line and I'm loving the fast LTE...   I've been with Verizon forever and due to their customer service will continue to stay with them.....I have had to deal with Sprint AND AT&T for work and dread the thought of ever switching to either!  Good Luck, if you can even get this page to load, with your 3G  LOL

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

WELL OPERA MINI BROWSER CAN HELP YOU. check it out .at appstore

0 Likes
PdRPilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Something is going on with the iPhone 5 on LTE.  Mine was in my pocket and somehow sucked down almost 2GB of data...with no apps open.  The data counters are very screwed up.  I reported it to Verizon on the phone as soon as I got the data alert, and in person later at a store; they noted it on my account.  I'm at my 4GB cap within 4 days of having the phone and I haven't really used any data at all... 

Bunny_m
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I had the same issue... I am sharing a data plan with iPhone4S and iPhone5, I was religiously checking my data usage. I was only using 0.2GB until yesterday, and then last night all of a sudden I received a warning that I went above my allowance. This morning I checked the usage and it says iPhone5 sucked down like 4GB of data. I think something is wrong, it's hard to believe 4GB of data is used overnight without doing anything. When I add up the detailed usage myself (by downloading the usage history as a spreadsheet and add them up myself), it does not even add up to 4GB. Currently waiting to hear from Verizon.

PdRPilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bunny,

Well I think that's good news for both of us; I'm sorry you're having this problem as well but the good news is that it means we're not doing anything wrong!

I've had iPhones since the original one (although I've only been a Verizon customer since Friday) and have always monitored my data usage. 

I'll make sure I let Verizon know that there are other instances of this!

marine3228

Is there an app you can download to moniter your data usage?

0 Likes
jlb500
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked the cellular data usage on my phone . . . I'm averaging 12 to 22 MB per web page loaded. Something is DEFINITELY WRONG. If its not fixed in the next couple of days, I'm returning the phones and going back to AT&T.

PdRPilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can view the usage in Settings - General -Usage, or download the MyVerizon app from the app store; assuming you'e registered your device with MyVerizon you can view all your account activity there.  Works well.

0 Likes
PdRPilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just escalated this to Verizon level 2 support and was in the process of being connected with Level 3 support that handles VZ/Apple issues - the level 2 support person had not heard of this issue, so everyone should please escalate this if you can!  Clearly a network issue.

The LTE network works great but they need to fix this!

oogje
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes