Re: Data usage error?
PdRPilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

PLEASE everyone report this to Verizon, request that the rep escalate to second level support (with you on the phone) because that's the only way they'll know it's widespread.

Remember, their default answer is to upgrade your data plan...Wrong answer!!!!

Sent from my iPad

Roseanne315
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this happen to me on the 22nd- got my phone the 21st)  I called Verizon, the guy saw where it was due to the prorated plan and new plan problem...  his solution was to credit me $20 for a 2GB upgrade to my plan retroactive to the beginning of the month (my period was over in a  couple days) he then applied a credit to my account for $20, therefore solving my problem yet not costing me anything.   This was all done because i called and stated my problem and confusion with the My Verizon app saying I had only used .04 MB when i started receiving over data texts...The rep on the phone offered this solution and I was done with the call in about 20 minutes.  I guess I got lucky, but I say if you dont like what the rep does for you on the phone, call back til someone helps you.. its a good solution to get you thru that pro rated period, and then from there the data plan you choose can be evaluated for your needs.  I dont think its an iPhone 5 problem.

0 Likes
jlb500
Enthusiast - Level 2

Roseanne, there needs to be an explanation of why 15 MB of data are coming into the phone for each web page when, at most, 1.5 MB should be loaded. At best, this is a technical error, at worst, this is FRAUD. Action needs to be taken on the part of Verizon.

0 Likes
JDMM
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called Verizon, I asked for them to create a support ticket for me and they called me back to say they cannot investigate the problem before the end of my billing cycle, which is completely moronic...

I looked at my data usage yesterday and in the details I was using 805Mb data on the 26th of September. I looked again today and now there is no more data usage on the 26th of September but it says I've used nearly 1Gb data on the 27th of September and no trace of the data usage for the 26th. I really think Verizon has a counting problem and they are hiding the problem. What's next? Opening an inquiry with the FCC ?

This all data issue is a big deal because when we call Verizon they tell you they don't know how the data was used so basically they can put any usage number out there, since now everybody is capped it's very easy for them to just throw out data usage numbers and make you pay extra every month.

They also did NOT acknowledge any wide spread issue...

0 Likes
jlb500
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another update: problem persists. Still about 12-15 MB of data per web page. When I tether my iPad or MacBook Pro to my iPhone 5, however, the same websites load with NORMAL data volume (about 300-800 KB).

So, increasingly I am thinking this is a joint Apple (Verizon iPhone 5) and Verizon network tower problem.

Probably gonna run out of time to get the problem solved, though . . . I'm definitely not going past the 14 day "no questions asked" return policy deadline.

0 Likes
PdRPilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah the inability to actually meter data but the ability to bill for it is huge. FCC and state regulators for sure. I'll do the same.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
jlb500
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, on the 14th day of owning my Verizon iPhone 5, I chose to returned it to Verizon. I am now the proud owner of a Sprint iPhone 5 instead because they have an unlimited data plan. 

Verizon LTE is very fast and the customer service was excellent . . . but LTE on an iPhone5 is like a loaded weapon.  I obsessed over how much data was coming into my phone (BTW, AT&T iPhones load the NYTimes web page with 12-20 MB of data, also . . . I now believe it has something to do with the 20 plus minutes of embedded video being automatically loaded when going to their website) . . . over the course of a 15 minute period I had 200 MB get loaded onto the phone from a source that I could not figure out.  That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Happy as a lark with Sprint now . . . it's great piece of mind not worrying a bit about any data overages. Ya, it's network slower than the LTE on Verizon . . . but the 3G is equivalent to what I had previously and LTE is coming to Sprint in my city in the next couple of months.

iPhone 5 NEEDS an unlimited data plan. Period.

0 Likes
iPhoneNerd
Contributor - Level 1

lol, funny i switched from Sprint to Verizon for LTE speeds.

Yes Sprint does have unlimited data, but their 3G speeds are terrible, im surprised you have a good 3G speed. i used the Speed Test app and i was received 0.3 MBPS download.

While i was on Sprint i started this thread Last year, and yet still terrible speeds

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?start=0&tstart=0

Good luck with sprint, their LTE service just launched, and they have re-scheduled cities to mid 2013

What is your location?

0 Likes
Roseanne315
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think u missed out...Verizon released a software update that addressed iPhone 5 issue of continuing to run up data charges even when not on LTE... my plan is intact, my data usage is in line and I'm loving the fast LTE...   I've been with Verizon forever and due to their customer service will continue to stay with them.....I have had to deal with Sprint AND AT&T for work and dread the thought of ever switching to either!  Good Luck, if you can even get this page to load, with your 3G  LOL

0 Likes
jlb500
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sprint is working VERY well for me.

I, too, have been with all three major carriers . . . and all three have worked okay for me, but each one has its own issues. Right now, its the rate of data transmission that is becoming more concerning.  All networks are getting faster. All webpages are getting larger in data content. And the new iPhone is more than happy to suck in data from a variety of sources (web browser, photo stream, iTunes, etc.).  Therein lies the issue that will become more problematic as we go forward in time. Ramped up data transmission rates with a capped data plan . . . ain't gonna work.

Again, UNLIMITED data plan = much more relaxed me.

0 Likes