Data usage while I'm asleep and connected to WIFI
CDM8950sds
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got a new Iphone 5S and also noticed my usage has gone up considerably.

I was just checking my data log for my new cycle which is only two days old and have seen significant MB of data usage in the early morning hours while I'm asleep and I'm on WIFI in my house.  The phone is next to me on the night stand.

How could this be?  I've read that sometime people leave apps running in the background that might account for that but I'm on WIFI in my house so it shouldn't be using any data at all.  I've also noticed smaller amounts of data usage registering during times of the day when I'm in my house on WIFI.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage while I'm asleep and connected to WIFI
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello CDM8950sds,

We want to make sure you are in sync with your data usage.  We never want a customer to have any overages for going over their allowance. We have a great tool that will provide you with an estimate on how much data you are using. You can view the information here http://vz.to/1eXbB9Y. Also are you connecting your device to WIFI? This is a great way to save data on your device as well.

WarrenM_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
CDM8950sds
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't need to figure out how much data I'm using. I want to know why I'm using so much data and why I'm using data while on WIFI!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello CDm8950sds
I would like to get these issues addressed for you. Is cellular Data turned on? If this feature is left on it will use our network over the Wifi. To check go to Settings>Cellular

You can also see what applications are using the Data under Settings>General>Usage.

I look forward to working with you and addressing your concerns.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

WOW,

Joel said  >> Is cellular Data turned on? If this feature is left on it will use our network over the Wifi. To check go to Settings>Cellular<<

Glad I read this post. I had no idea that you had to turn off Cellular Data in order to force it to use WIFI only. I always thought that if the wifi icon was on at the top of the screen that you were using wifi data and not cellular. I'll bet a lot of folks are unaware of this.

richie

0 Likes
quadrupled

Gee, I'm amazed too.  Up until now, the excuse was it was Apple's fault or the user was leaving apps running or lying about streaming etc.  I've seen turning off Cellular as a recommendation before, but this revelation of  "If this feature is left on it will use our network over the Wifi." by VZW is news!  Funny how when I was on unlimited, my data useage was 4 times less than it is now that the meter is running.  What a pain it is going to be to have to check all my share plan phones to make sure the cellular is off when in the house, especially while sleeping when the meter seems to really accelerate and the phone is idle. I wish I knew this a month ago before I upgraded.   

0 Likes
britmoore22

The answer from the Verizon person seems wrong. I've had various iPhones with data through them for 3 years... I just got a new phone a few weeks ago and my data usage has gone up. I have had "cellular data" turned on.... but I ALWAYS have with my other phones as well and didn't experience this issue. I have data logging in the wee hours of the morning while I'm asleep at home and it should be connecting to wifi. This seems very backward to have to switch cellular data on and off when you come and go from wireless networks. It has never been like this in the past 3 years i've been with Verizon and a smartphone. I'm really annoyed I've paid overages for a couple months now seemingly due to this weird issue that has never affected me before. @joel_vzw please provide further explanation.

0 Likes
cassy34
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the new IPhone 5c. I know that if you get a lot of notifications during the night. That they use your data for that. I have 5 phones on my plain with 10 gb. I have not gone over on any of my gb for all five phones. If I am using my phone at home I can still pick up wifi and it does not use my data, U got to make sure that u have wifi on at all times. Once you loss the wifi where u are at. Then it will use your data.

0 Likes