Re: Did you ditch unlimited to get a discount iphone 5?
bodean
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting replies. Thanks

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I have not given up my unlimited yet, but it won't bother me to do so.

As for people being fools, if your usage does not utilize over 2GB of data, there is no reason to need to keep unlimited at a price of losing a $400 discount on the phone.

I have 1 3G smartphone with average usage of less than 1 GB a month and have never gone over 2GB in a month in the past 3-4 yrs.

Before you go calling me a fool, I also have 1 4G smartphone with average usage of less than 1GB a month and have never gone over 1GB in a month for the entire time I have had it since May of 2011. With this usage history in mind, I have no doubt I would not exceed the 2GB allowance in any given month, but if I did, I could go over by 2GB each and every month until I am eligible for another discounted upgrade(20 months) and STILL not spend more money than I received as a discount on a new phone(20 months * $20/month in overage = $400 in overages over the 20 month period). This means I can increase my CURRENT 4G usage by over 300% and STILL break even if I go on the 2GB tiered data. I don't see that it is worth it for me to pay full price and keep my unlimited data as I do not see my usage increasing that drastically. I would end up paying MORE by keeping my unlimited data!

0 Likes
rara105
Contributor - Level 1

I don't think its your place to call people fools. If you are ok with paying full retail than thats your decision, but calling others a fool for them deciding what's more important to them does not make them a fool. They are figuring out that if they aren't using it why pay for it.

0 Likes
bodean
Enthusiast - Level 2

Judging by people on the forums, they are noticing their data usage going a lot higher than expected with new 4G on iphone 5.  Verizon going to love to over data usage charges it looks like.

0 Likes
mcjake333
Enthusiast - Level 3

I kept my unlimited data plan by opening up another line and then transferring the iPhone 5 over to my unlimited line.  Saved me about $200 vs. buying at full retail.

0 Likes