Does the iPhone 5 come unlocked so I can put in a different SIM card?
weiszweisz

I'm going to study abroad in Germany for a few months and want to make sure I can use my iPhone 5 from Verizon with a different phone company over there by just using a different SIM card. Can the iPhone 5 be used with any carrier via the SIM card?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does the iPhone 5 come unlocked so I can put in a different SIM card?
Jimmyjr

I never had a iPhone, but I have been researching that exact question.  It seems that Verizon iPhone 5's automatically come sim unlocked.  Which is not a full unlock where you are able to delete certain programs you were not able to delete when you first bought the phone.  A sim unlock will allow you to use other sim cards for other companies, but you will not get LTE data. According to Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney: "she says there's no plans to lock Apple's handset at a later point. In other words, you should be free to use a Verizon-locked iPhone 5 on any compatible GSM and HSPA+ networks for as long as you'd like, including with AT&T and Canadian carriers. Of course, this still brings the caveats of having to both buy a Verizon model, either at full price or with a contract attached, and track down a nano-SIM for the carrier of choice. It could nonetheless settle the question of what carrier to pick if you regularly need a passport when you travel.  I believe this article will tell you all you need to know.  if not, you can go to verizon if the phone is locked, and have it sim-unlocked, as long as you have a account with them in good standing.

www.engadget.com/.../verizon-iphone-5-unlocked-att-t-mobile-video/
Sep 21, 2012 ... Great news for those waiting anxiously at the door for their UPS / FedEx delivery.. . well, for those awaiting a Verizon iPhone 5, anyway. We've ...
www.engadget.com
www.engadget.com/.../verizon-iphone-5-unlocked-att-t-mobile-video/

Verizon has no plans to re-lock iPhone 5's GSM and 3G sides --- http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/24/verizon-has-no-plans-to-re-lock-iphone-5-gsm-and-3g-sides/?m=fals...

If you don't find your answer with this link, just type "does Verizon's iPhone 5 come unlocked"  in the search box on that site.  about 10 recent articals comeup saying it is, but it doesn't say if you get 3G or any kind of data.  just says, you wont be able to get LTE

0 Likes