Dropped calls and only 2 shaded bars
yang2278

I never have more than 2 "bars" shaded so my calls have static and drop often.  I called tech support and was told to update software, close background apps daily and restart daily.  I did these for 2 weeks now and still only 1-2 bars shaded.  Any other suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Dropped calls and only 2 shaded bars
Weth
Legend

As you travel around, you never get more than 2 bars? How many bars are there when you are in a call? When not in a call, the number of bars is the data LTE signal. When you are in a call, it is the CDMA voice signal - which is different frequency and may be even different tower in some cases? What matters more is the number of bars while in a voice call.

If you travel around and never see more than 2 bars, that would be unusual.

Also, what do you mean by static? The call is digital, so there is no static. Static would be heard in an analog signal situation which you do not have on this phone at all. If you truly hear electrical static, that would indicate something wrong with the phone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
yang2278,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention! We always want to make sure that no matter where you are, you get world class service. Let's figure this out. What is your zip code? Do you use the phone mainly in that area or in many areas? Is the issue mainly indoors or outside as well?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
yang2278

55109 but the phone is my business phone so it goes with me throughout the Twin Cities.  Whether I'm inside or outside, I rarely get more than 3 bars.  In my home office, I only get 2, sometime just one 1, bar so I've had to install a landline for important calls.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Great information yang2278! No alerts noted for St Paul. Let's check some other things! What is your iOS version? Try resetting the connection to the network and test: power off, remove SIM card for one minute, insert SIM card, power on.

AntonioC_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
yang2278

I have version 8.3 and have done what you suggested but still only have two bars.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
yang2278 I appreciate the cooperation so far. Does your phone also have a case on it? If you remove the case will the number of bars change?
BryanS_VZW
0 Likes
yang2278

Yes to case and no change with it off. 

0 Likes
TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

Have you yet reset your Network Settings or updated your carrier settings? Have your removed and reinserted your SIM card? I have an iPhone 5S and while at home I will only get about 2 signal bubbles which doesn't necessarily mean my signal is weak given I don't drop calls or have any issues with sound, delay, etc.

You can always get a new SIM card although that doesn't help too often or call tech support back and have them put in a network ticket for you if it is happening in many different locations. A factory restore via iTunes would not hurt either, this allows you to rule out any issues with the phone itself.

yang2278

Yep, did everything except the new SIM card and factory restore.  It's become much more work than necessary just to be able to make phone calls.  Unfortunately, other carriers have not been any better.

0 Likes