Find My iPhone Clarification
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

You have 3 choices when using find my iphone...

1.play sound

2. lost mode

3. erase

It says lost mode sends a message and locks the phone so it can't be used. If that is the case then why would you ever use the erase mode which completely renders the phone useless ? Just in case later on you find it or its returned?

richie

Labels (2)
Re: Find My iPhone Clarification
Not applicable

Erase mode is to insure any vital information is erased like banking or stock transactions etc. Your name and address, or saved credit card numbers etc.

The sound one just send a tone to the phone, and then sends an email to you the owner saying it was sent.

The other option simply locks the device so it cannot be accessed. All the features are perfectly clear to me.

A wiped device can be reactivated and have your information returned. However if that is the case then anyone could activate a clean and brand new device. That I do find strange

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

The erase is a requirement for insurance purposes.

If you lose an iPhone, and claim the loss, you have to remove the device from your Cloud, erasing the device.

The device can then be used by the thief.  

If your device isn't insured, don't erase it, just brick it up so the next person has an Apple paper weight.

The erase is also an easy way to fix the problem of "I just bought an iPad/iPhone/iPod and it's registered to another Apple ID"

All it takes is an email or phone call and the original owner can remove and erase the bricked device online.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Lizdance,

How do you "brick it up" ?

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

OK. None of you gave the full correct answer. I spoke with a Verizon technician. He said the erase mode will make the iphone completely useless and can never be activated again. He said only use it if you are absolutely positive that the phone is gone for good. Makes sense.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Actually you are totally incorrect.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2701

Apple clearly states it can be erased and then used again.

If you REPORT the device lost or stolen to your carrier then it is Verizon, Sprint or AT&T or T-Mobile that places the device on their internal database. (Which is now a shared database) But this would be to cellular + WiFi devices. If its just WiFi there would be no need to contact a cellular company.

I do not give wrong information if I can help it. Verizon however will give you different answers each time you call. It is hit and miss.

Again Good Luck

richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Elector,

I'm not at all surprised. It's not the first time a Verizon store employee has given me bad information. Thanks for your input and the apple link. Thanks to you I'm beginning to understand more about the find my iphone feature. Obviously in order for it to work you must have it turned on. Does it use much battery power ?  If not, I can't understand why anyone would not have it turned on.

richie

0 Likes
Not applicable

An iPhone or ipad average around 10-13 hours depending on use.

The find my iPhone/iPad feature is totally useless if the device is off. However if stolen and not secured with a device password any thief can erase it, then set it up as new. The only difference is if cellular you can report it stolen and it cannot ever be activated again. Which I am also sure there is a way around.

If you can see it via find, you can erase it or simply lock it so that no one can access your private information.

Good Luck

richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

You said  >>The find my iPhone/iPad feature is totally useless if the device is off<<

According to the user manual the phone will go into lock mode once its turned on and send an email alerting you to that.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Correct. After it is turned on it will. But you have to tell it to via the find feature.

I also believe the erase on apple devices occur after so many attempts to enter the pass code. Incorrectly.

The good feature is I know where my devices are right down to street level if stolen. Then just call the police.

it is a shame it does not work like Lo Jack. That program sends out a signal to where it is. Automatically and silently.

Good Luck