German iPhone 5 in U.S.
jimbran

Can our exchange student use her German iPhone 5 here in Minnesota? What do we need to do to make that happen?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: German iPhone 5 in U.S.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone you describe can be activated on a local GSM carrier like AT&T and T-Mobile. The CDMA radio is disabled in the German version of the device and its MEID isn't in the VZW database so it can't be activated on the Verizon Wireless network or any other CDMA carrier in the USA.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that having mobile service while traveling internationally is important. I'm sorry but we are not able to use another carriers phone on our network. You can purchase our iPhone and use it in the U.S. We have some awesome plans. Take a look http://bit.ly/xdDajD and please let us know if you have any further concerns. We also have prepaid plans that are temporary while she is here that may work great.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I really am flabergasted when I see a response like this. THIS IS A STUDENT WHO ALREADY HAS A PHONE. I don't know about current students, but I would bet there aren't many that would prefer to spend $600-$800 on a full retail price phone when they have one they are perfectly happy with. It is AMAZING you would even mention this. This is an exchange student, probably only here for a couple of months. To even suggest purchasing another phone for this period of time instead of letting Ann154's EXCELLENT advice stand on its own just BOGGLES THE MIND.

budone
Legend

Unless you @ the rep, in this case       they will never venture back to see your response