Getting message that I'm nearing my alloted usage but I'm not?
xanniepoox
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just switched over to an iPhone 5 and changed my unlimited data plan to a 2gb plan. I've never even been close to going over 2gb, yet I keep getting texts that I'm 50%, now at 75%, of using my 2gb. I keep checking my Verizon, but I'm not even close?! What's the deal!? Is there a problem with the alerts? Should I go by the alerts or what my Verizon is telling me? I'm scared that I'm gonna get charged for going over, when I'm no where near it (I haven't even used 1gb). Someone help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Getting message that I'm nearing my alloted usage but I'm not?
budone
Legend

Did you change in the middle of a billing period? If so, you may be near your allotment as the data amount would be prorated for what remains in the billing cycle

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to be scared, xanniepoox!
I'm sure we can work through this.
We can certainly check on your alerts for you, but as budone suggested, it can all depend on the time you made the plan changes. Was it in the middle of the billing period or was the change made at the beginning of the billing period?

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
xanniepoox
Enthusiast - Level 2

Middle of a billing cycle. I got the new phone on the 18 and my billing cycle resets on the 3rd

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Then that is why, your data is prorated from the 3rd to the 18th, then 18th thru the 3rd

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

You should have backdated that data plan to the start of the billing period. You're only going to get about 1 GB for this month before you incur overages.

0 Likes
mwhb2

I recommend you up your data plan and have it back dated asap.

There is a MAJOR DATA USAGE PROBLEM that VERIZON REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE and TAKE OWNERSHIP OF. I have been with Verizon since the late 90's. I use a Verizon USB for my computer and have a I phone 5 with Verizon. In December, I bought a new iPhone 5 at which time Verizon said I had to give up my unlimited plan on my phone (aganst my wishes) and take their combined phone & computer data plan. Since then, my data usage has gone off the charts and bills up 30%! For months I call them after I get these dire usage warnings, usually in fast succession. I then increase my data plan only to find out shortly it wasn't enough and have to increase it more. At times,I have seen my usage jump from 75 to 90% in a very short period of time. When I call, they tell me to up the plan and tell me ways to cut usage but they NEVER take ownership of the bigger problem. My bills have been consistent for years and nothing has changed on my end. I  an worn out with this and am now considering going to another carrier for both my services.

I think this has the makings of a class action suit!

0 Likes
xanniepoox
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow why hasn't Verizon mentioned ANY of this to me?! What a crock. There was no mention of prorating the plan. The guy even looked at how much I was using and said I'd be fine til my billing cycle was over. NOTHING ABOUT MY USAGE BEING PRORATED. Verizon is becoming a joke.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
xanniepoox
Enthusiast - Level 2

And can someone pls explain what backdating means?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

xanniepoox wrote:

Wow why hasn't Verizon mentioned ANY of this to me?! What a crock. There was no mention of prorating the plan. The guy even looked at how much I was using and said I'd be fine til my billing cycle was over. NOTHING ABOUT MY USAGE BEING PRORATED. Verizon is becoming a joke.

Sent from my iPhone

Not a crock, it's common sense. Ok 2 GB $30. You have it for half a month so you will only pay $15. Yet somehow you think you're entitled to the entire 2 GB? Where does that make sense?

Actually if you change plans online it gives you 3 options backdate, start form the current date or start at the start of a new billing period.

0 Likes