Has anyone else have patterned and increased data usage since switching to the iPhone5?
jllaroc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I'll take any suggestions as I feel I've exhausted all my options.

Since I purchased the iPhone 5 about 4 months ago, my usage has increased approximately 1.5 GB.  Each month since I've purchased I've had to call and increase my data.  I've spoken to Verizon approximately 5 times with no clear answer and no resolution.

The first month I thought possibly since I had a new phone, it was my problem, however, by the third month I called to see what was going on.  I was told that I needed to be sure to shut down my apps after using them (although I had never done this before), I began to do this, and I also began to start tracking the data usage on my phone.

When I started looking at my data usage I noticed that I would have data recorded at exactly the 6 hour mark.  So for example, the last three days I have had usage only at the following times.  1:41am, 7:41am, 1:41pm, 7:41pm.  This pattern will continue for a few days then it will switch to different times, albeit still 6 hour increments.  AND the usage at most of the times is at times that I'm at home on Wifi.  When I added up all the usage while I was at home, I found the additional 1.5 GB of usage each month.

Verizon has suggested the following:  Restart Modem at home, Restart connection to modem on my phone, Reset my phone to Factory Settings, Replace Sim Card, Turn off Background Apps, Replace Phone.  Even with trying all these things the data usage is still the same, I have tried turning off Cell Data at home and that seems to fix the problem, however, that to me doesn't seem to be a good resolution.  How am I supposed to remember to do that everytime I go on WiFi, and remeber to turn it back on?  I have also on my own tried turning off my work e-mail and last night I deleted all my apps.  STILL - usage at 1:41am.

Has anyone else had this issue, and how have they resolved it?

Thanks for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Has anyone else have patterned and increased data usage since switching to the iPhone5?
Not applicable

You have to realize that Verizon claimed that 95% of their customers use less than 2 GB of data.

They went to tiered data to rob the customers blind. You really don't know if verizons data counters are accurate so you take their word for it.

Turn off your mobile hotspot if it is on, or others will use the spot for them selves. Additionally go to the Apple Community Support Forums http://www.apple.com and you may get some more ideas.

If you came from a 3G device to a 4G device you will note that you will use more of the faster 4G than the slower 3G so that is a point to ponder.

Good Luck

Content edited for appropriate content as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone else have patterned and increased data usage since switching to the iPhone5?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jllaroc!

I want you to be able to enjoy your new iPhone 5 and not have to worry about going over your data allowance.  Based on the information you provided, it appears there may be an email stuck in your email "Sent" box that is attempting to resend.  Please check your "Sent" or "Outbox" folder and delete any pending email messages.  Let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Please read the original post again. The poster is not having email problems. They said they turn off the email now and all apps because Verizon is stating they are going over in data. But they don't know why. They are saying data usage has increased since they got the iphone 5.

Boy you people give lousy customer service.

0 Likes
jllaroc
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have also checked for stuck e-mail and that is not the issue.  Again I had .03 GB of usage at6:42am, while I was at home in bed, sleeping, on WiFi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for checking jllaroc. We have seen sometimes that an email stuck in the outbox can cause data to add up. With the iPhone, it is designed to turn off wifi when the phone becomes idle to preserve battery life. Make sure to close your apps that are running in the background http://bit.ly/TomdWF as anything running will switch to 3G/4G when the phone is idle. Email syncing can also use a small amount of data.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes