Has anyone else seen a spike in their data usage for no reason?
MichaelKi77

Anyone else seeing random really large data spikes in their usage summary?

I've had my iPhone 5 for over a year now and I've never even come close to using my data (or texts and calls for that matter).

Now all of a sudden, I got a text yesterday (5/1/14) telling me that I'm at 70% of my allotted data. Then today, I got another text telling me that I'm at 90%. That prompted me to turn off my cellular Data - and to look into my usage.

After I looked at my data usage, I saw that there were a lot of spikes in data usage ranging anywhere from 250MB to 400MB on a single day! And then when I looked more closely, I saw that these data spikes were at times when I'm sitting at home - where my phone would be on Wi-Fi!

I called customer support and the CSR was NOT helpful. She flat out lied to me and tried to say that I used 3 gigs in February and that I'm averaging 2 gigs a month! I looked up my past usage charts and she was WRONG.

She then went on to tell me that Verizon will STILL charge us on data usage EVEN IF our phones are connected to our own High Speed Internet connection! She explained that the phone will pick the faster service... Really? She's really going to tell me that 4G LTE is faster than my ISP? Wow...

I'm documenting this now so that if I see these spikes in the future, I WILL REPORT Verizon to the FCC and I hope that those of you who are having similar problems on your data billing [will do the same].

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Has anyone else seen a spike in their data usage for no reason?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MichaelKi77,

Data charges can be quite shocking, let's get to the bottom of this to make sure we can help you prevent overages in the future. Have you downloaded any new applications? Please go to Settings>Cellular>Scroll down to see which apps use data. Then, scroll all the way down to System Services to view all data usage.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone else seen a spike in their data usage for no reason?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MichaelKi77,

Data charges can be quite shocking, let's get to the bottom of this to make sure we can help you prevent overages in the future. Have you downloaded any new applications? Please go to Settings>Cellular>Scroll down to see which apps use data. Then, scroll all the way down to System Services to view all data usage.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes