How Do I Unsync My Apple Account With My Sons?
soccersteve

I have one Apple account that I share with my teenage son.  For some reason, all of a sudden, a bunch of his music is showing up on my phone.  Unfortunately, his taste in music is different than my mine.

Automatic Download is turned off for Music and Apps

Show Apple Music is turned off and so is Genius.

I am using the iPhone 5S

I have all of my music downloaded to my laptop and I sync my phone with that laptop.  My sons music is downloaded to his laptop.

My goal is to be able to sync my phone to my laptop and get only the music from my library.

I don't want to give him his own account because a) I want to keep track of his purchases and b) occasionally he does download something that I do like.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sharing Apple account with my son
Weth
Legend

I agree with Ann154 100%

It is not really a good idea to share an AppleID. You should give him his own AppleID, but put both in the family sharing setup Apple has.

This will allow you to keep things separate, but most apps you don't need to buy again. Also you can control when and what apps he gets by setting up ask permission. He also gets his own 5GB backup cloud space from Apple for free.

There is not really any reason not to do this. Sharing AppleIDs always eventually causes trouble.

iCloud - Family Sharing - Apple

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you looked at the Family Sharing option? This would allow you to have each your own Apple ID and share purchases and music between the two accounts and control future purchases from the Apple Store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Weth
Legend

I agree with Ann154 100%

It is not really a good idea to share an AppleID. You should give him his own AppleID, but put both in the family sharing setup Apple has.

This will allow you to keep things separate, but most apps you don't need to buy again. Also you can control when and what apps he gets by setting up ask permission. He also gets his own 5GB backup cloud space from Apple for free.

There is not really any reason not to do this. Sharing AppleIDs always eventually causes trouble.

iCloud - Family Sharing - Apple

soccersteve

Is there a cost to the Family Sharing program?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

No, it is free. And most apps, even the pay ones, can be shared among anyone in the Family Share group. I have both my kids and my wife on the family share. For the kids anything they try to get comes to one of us for approval or denial. It works quite well.

0 Likes
soccersteve

Thanks, I will try it!

0 Likes