How can I deactivate an iPhone 5 and then activate it on a current prepaid plan?
missgen

My son left his iPhone 5 when he moved saying he didn't want it. (teen temper tantrum)  After 6 mos we might as well get some use out of it since we paid for it.  How can I deactivate it (it has been restored to factory default) and then activate it on my current prepaid plan with my number?

I have no passwords/icloud/apple id information and won't likely get it from him.  Is there another option?  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I deactivate an iPhone 5 and then activate it on a current prepaid plan?
rcschnoor
Legend

Verizon does not currently allow 4G LTE devices on prepaid plans. Therefore you would not be able to activate the iPhone 5 on your prepaid plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How can I deactivate an iPhone 5 and then activate it on a current prepaid plan?
rcschnoor
Legend

Verizon does not currently allow 4G LTE devices on prepaid plans. Therefore you would not be able to activate the iPhone 5 on your prepaid plan.

0 Likes
missgen

Ok.  So then I'd need to do  2 yr contract.  The deactivation issue still needs to be resolved.  Any ideas on how I can do that so we can get this phone to work?  The phone was purchased outright, so we own it.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

No, you do not need to enter into a 2 yr contract. You only enter into a contract by purchasing a phone at a discount.

To deactivate the line of service, you must call Verizon or stop by a store. You cannot do so online. Keep in mind, if the line is currently under contract, your would be liable for any ETF.

When you say you'd need to do a 2 yr contract, does that mean you are planning to activate the phone on Verizon? If so, why not simply keep it active on the current line of service? That way you will not have any ETF, if applicable, and you will not have a $35 activation fee associated with new lines of service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

missgen, as a mother of a 16 year old, I know all about temper tantrums. Let's not let that device go to waiste. You can hard reset that device by connecting it to a computer with iTunes downloaded to it. Once you connect the device, it will open iTunes. You will be provided with the option to "Use Recovery Mode." For your convenience, I've provided a very helpful link with the steps to reset that phone's password: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

Once the password has been reset, you can master that reset that device in Settings>General>Reset>"Erase All Content & Settings"

I trust that these steps are helpful to you. Keep us posted. We're standing by to further assist you if needed.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes