How can I tell what is causing my device to use large amounts of data in the middle of the night?
Breweryrep

I seem to be using large chunks of date in the middle of the night while I am sleeping, what could be causing it and how do I stop it?

I have noticed it three or four times in the last month.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I seem to be using large chunks of date in the middle of the night while I am sleeping, what could be causing it and how do I stop it?
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Not sure which iphone you have, but the 5 and 6 models behave "somewhat" similarly in how they consume cell-data on Verizons network.

Here's what I had to go through to dial back my 5C data usage and get it under control.  Read the discussion comments too, lots of good info exchange here.  The video is almost 2 years old, and two weeks ago I switched over to a Sony xperia Z3 (Android).  But I think much of it is still valid today with the latest iOS.

!!WARNING!! iPhone 5C Verizon... Monitor your data usage!!! - YouTube

What you have to do is switch off cellular data for all your apps individually and gradually turn them on one at a time for a ~day and observe your data usage.  Things like facebook, twitter and shop-kick for example will use cell data even though you are not actively engaged and using the app.  So for those I left cell-data turned off... I eventually just deleted them all together... not worth the hastle, given the iPhones weak memory capacity and battery power limitations.  Eventually over a few days, or however many apps you have... you will get a sense for which apps can be trusted and which ones can not.

You need to turn off the phones location tracking services: Settings => Privacy => Location Services => scroll down to System services => scroll down to Frequent Locations => Clear them and turn this function OFF.   The factory default is set to monitor and track your where-abouts, and yes it uses cellular or wifi data to accomplish this.  But regardless, its a rogue data consuming function that if left un-checked, the end user will have no idea that its happening.

Good Luck!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I seem to be using large chunks of date in the middle of the night while I am sleeping, what could be causing it and how do I stop it?
MaddieBre
Enthusiast - Level 3

Might be when you get push notifications from applications and websites. Sometimes when you leave your phone idle for awhile the wi-fi turns off.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I had the exact same problem at one point, it got so bad I had to turn my phone off at night. The only thing that had changed was I installed a few new apps on it. What I ended up doing was uninstalling most of the apps, but before I did it I cleared the data and cache under each one and then only reinstalled the ones I really wanted/needed to use, or ones I felt could be trusted and were more known.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Not sure which iphone you have, but the 5 and 6 models behave "somewhat" similarly in how they consume cell-data on Verizons network.

Here's what I had to go through to dial back my 5C data usage and get it under control.  Read the discussion comments too, lots of good info exchange here.  The video is almost 2 years old, and two weeks ago I switched over to a Sony xperia Z3 (Android).  But I think much of it is still valid today with the latest iOS.

!!WARNING!! iPhone 5C Verizon... Monitor your data usage!!! - YouTube

What you have to do is switch off cellular data for all your apps individually and gradually turn them on one at a time for a ~day and observe your data usage.  Things like facebook, twitter and shop-kick for example will use cell data even though you are not actively engaged and using the app.  So for those I left cell-data turned off... I eventually just deleted them all together... not worth the hastle, given the iPhones weak memory capacity and battery power limitations.  Eventually over a few days, or however many apps you have... you will get a sense for which apps can be trusted and which ones can not.

You need to turn off the phones location tracking services: Settings => Privacy => Location Services => scroll down to System services => scroll down to Frequent Locations => Clear them and turn this function OFF.   The factory default is set to monitor and track your where-abouts, and yes it uses cellular or wifi data to accomplish this.  But regardless, its a rogue data consuming function that if left un-checked, the end user will have no idea that its happening.

Good Luck!!

0 Likes