How can you definitively tell if your GPS chipset is bad?
EdmondDantes
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased a "certified pre-owned" iPhone 5 about a month ago and the GPS is horribly off without Wifi. This makes it neigh impossible to use the phone as a GPS while driving, trying to track my run, etc., which are all major features of having an iPhone. If I'm at home, turn off the wifi, and let it sit for ten minutes to acquire a signal, it does no better. In short, without wifi, it doesn't work. How can I be sure my GPS chipset is not defective?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How can you definitively tell if your GPS chipset is bad?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

EdmondDantes,

Oh my, I am sorry to hear your phone isn't working as it should be. Let's clear the air all phones come with a one year manufactures warranty, so you can definitely get it replaced under warranty. Have you reset the network settings? Please follow these steps to reset the networks:http://vz.to/KdPHV0

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
EdmondDantes
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi @KarenC_VZW

I truly wish you were correct , but my experience with @VZWSupport has been very different. In fairness to my fellow consumers, I'm compelled to share my experience so they can determine for themselves whether a certified pre-owned phone from Verizon is a good purchase. In my experience so far, it is not.  I'm hoping that my situation can be resolved amicably, but I'm losing hope.

I purchased my certified pre-owned phone directly from VerizonWireless in July. In August, I determined the phone was defective. I called Verizon's technical support, and they confirmed the phone was defective, and that it would be an easy thing to fix. I could simply go to a Verizon store directly, and they would repair or replace the phone.

But this was not the case. The Verizon Wireless stores are actually franchises. My local stores, and a VerizonWireless customer service representative got in touch with all of them, will not exchange a device unless the parent company sends them a new phone first, because otherwise they'd have to absorb the cost. The customer service line refused to send a new phone, arguing it was the local franchisee who should pay to replace the phone.

In short, after six hours of phone calls, Naomi from Customer Care promised to give me a full refund and a free months service because I had been treated so poorly, and that this refund would take three to five business days to effectuate. Six business days later, I still had no refund. I called again, and over another four hours of calls, I learned that Naomi never submitted the paperwork in the first place, and that I was no further than I was before.

In short, Verizon promised to replace any defective pre-owned phones that they sold within 90 days of purchase. I purchased my phone 30 days ago and it is defective, but Verizon has in effect refused to honor the warranty. Their internal processes are so confused that, although they agree there is a warranty, they cannot agree on who internally is obligated to honor it.

I really hope this situation can be resolved amicably. I'm a lawyer, and this would be an easy case for me to win in small claims court. I don't want it to get that far, but I don't what else to do. I feel bad for people who do not have the same legal training that I do, and don't know how to enforce a warranty through the courts. Karen, I would love to discuss this further with you privately if you can. I want this be resolved quickly and easily.

I will report back later to let everyone know how my case has been resolved.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

EdmondDantes,

I am sorry it has been sorry for everything you have gone to get a replacement under warranty. We want you to have a fully functional device. If the device was purchased less then a year ago and does not have any physical or water damage we can get a replacement sent out to you. Please private message me so we can get the replacement ordered.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes