How do i unlock a iphone 5s
jrsmucker

I am looking to sell my iphone and want to unlock it?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: How do i unlock a iphone 5s
Not applicable

call 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your device.

Ask them to unlock it.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jrsmucker,

We're here to help!  Are you still a current subscriber?  We hope that everything is well with your account.  Good news is that all iPhone 5S's come unlocked and do not require anything of us.  However, we're unable to guarantee it will be fully functional on another carrier's network.  Here is more on our unlocking policy; http://vz.to/VR8Xxd .

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mikep_72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Trevor,

I have to disagree with you on this one. I have a Verizon iPhone 5S that I purchased on launch day, last year. I paid full price at Apple. I have recently purchased an iPhone 6 and entered a new 2 year contract with Verizon. I went to sell my old 5S to someone that wanted to use T-Mobile. He is getting a sim lock message.  We have also tried a few other carrier LTE sim cards and we get the same SIM lock message. I have called VZW customer service a few times and they tell me the phone is not locked, per Verizon policy. I then called apple customer support and they tell me that the phone is locked to Verizon. I tried Verizon support once again, and they were of no help. If there is anything you can do to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mikep_72 we'll clear up the confusion! 4G devices are unlocked by default for international use, however the device is unable to be unlocked for local carriers.

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mikep_72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ashley,

That is not clearly stated in the 4G unlock policy of Verizon found here Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless. It simply states that Verizon 4G devices are unlocked by default. There is nothing that mentions the device is only unlocked for use outside the US. Your policy is very misleading. I am surprised no one has report this to the FCC or the BBB. This is purely a case of poor customer service, especially since I had paid full price for the phone without a contract subsidy.

Not applicable

Obama: Mobile phone unlocking law gives 'ordinary Americans more flexibility and choice' : PERSONAL ...

However it is full of gotchas. Carriers can still refuse and it states you may need to initiate legal actions

So its a law that has no teeth.

Good Luck

0 Likes
mikep_72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elector...thanks for the info. I have entered a complaint with the FCC, lets see if that gets me anywhere.

I also have a few days left to return my iPhone 6. I just might switch to AT&T or T-Mobile, their service is equal to that of Verizon where I live. I had enough of Verizon's terrible customer service.

Not applicable

Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Amazingly we are a country of laws, and laws upon laws but in some cases those laws are not worth the paper they are printed on.

twm53
Enthusiast - Level 3

but will it connect to LTE services or drop back to 3G?  From reading about frequencies and bands the only place that looks to be the same for LTE service are Canada and Mexico - however, I just hear someone complaining their new VZW iPhone 6 would only connect on 3G in Canada. A fully qualified straight answer would be appreciated by all.

0 Likes