How secure is iPhone 5 hotspot connection?
chicagoreader

Hello,  I'm debating between increasing my data plan and using my iPhone hotspot as my sole internet connection or getting a separate wifi provider.  My main concern is safety.  My current internet provider is no longer viable ... do I look for a new provider or just use my iPhone??  Any help/comment would be appreciated

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: How secure is iPhone 5 hotspot connection?
Not applicable

Using the hot spot is secure as long as you change the phone name to something different than the "iPhone" SSID

Also change the password and make it longer and with capital letters, lower case letters and numbers.

However if you are limited to 2 GB you really don't want to use it for primary internet use. The overage charges will be astounding.

Good Luck

chicagoreader

Thanks for the quick reply ... I'm thinking of increasing my data from 4 to 8GB or 10GB and I'll track my use to hopefully avoid overage.  I've changed my name and PW so it sounds like I can bypass an internet provider and just use my cell phone.  Guess I'm good to go ... I'm always a little nervous changing anything related to tech  🙂

0 Likes
Not applicable

Please note the increasing of data is not possible only 2 GB unless you are on a plan that includes free hotspot service

Then the increase will be on the plan.

Web pages loading on a laptop or desktop and even a tablet use a load of data just to laid a web page or view videos or listen to internet music and YouTube or even Facebook

Factor the cost for an increase and keeping broadband may be better.

Good Luck