How to stop updates to contacts from happening on all family members' iPhones?
BigSkyAF

We recently upgraded our LGENV2 phones to iPhones (one iPhone 5, two iPhone 4ss, and one iPhone 4).  Three of us transferred our contacts to our phones at the Verizon store.  One of us used Backup Assistant to backup the contacts, then downloaded them to his phone.  When he did this, the contacts downloaded to all four phones.  For some reason, we all have each other's contacts now.  When one of us updates or deletes a contact, it does the same action on all four phones.  The rep at the Verizon Store thinks it's because we all use the same iTunes ID.  We want to keep the same iTunes ID, because when one person buys a song, TV show, or movie, then we all get it.  Hopefully there's a way to keep contact updates from taking place across all the phones. Appreciate any help you can provide in fixing this.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to stop updates to contacts from happening on all family members' iPhones?
Laurak68

I have the same problem and have been looking for an answer for an hour at verizon.com and have found nothing. Please post something if you find out anything.

0 Likes
Re: How to stop updates to contacts from happening on all family members' iPhones?
bandroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's actually something you can only stop from happening by having all different iTunes ID. This happened to my husband and I and the only way to stop it was to get different ID's. A way to keep the music on each phone is if you purchase it from iTunes, save it to your computer then have them upload it to their iTunes Id. This is the only way around it. When sharing iTunes ID, iTunes saves contacts, etc, so it updates on all devices with that ID.

0 Likes
jlw01
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son and I use the same iTunes ID, but have separate contact lists. I think the only way to do this is to not backup your contacts to icloud. That is what is syncing all your contacts together. You can still use the same iTunes account and be able to download and share your apps, but turn off syncing contacts to iCloud.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BigSkyAF, I can completely understand your desire to have your media transfer to all devices, but not want to share contacts. As jlw mentioned, it seems as though your contacts are synced to iCloud as well. Go to Settings, iCloud and uncheck Contacts and any other apps that you don't want to share. It would also not be recommended to sync your contacts via iTunes. Backup via VZ Contact Transfer, Google or another source.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes