Huge 5s data usage while asleep!
Mike_in_St_Paul
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son has been burning through his data allowance ever since he went to college. I've looked at his data usage log and I see large amounts of data being used while he sleeps. One night it was almost 500MB, which is a lot when you only have 2GB. I've added up well over 1GB of data being used while he sleeps in just the last 2 weeks. I've searched the internet for answers and it seems this is a Verizon and iPhone 5s/5c problem. If I can't figure this out we will be switching to Sprint in January when he is home on break. Any insights would be appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Huge 5s data usage while asleep!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does he have wifi at college? Does he turn off the cellular data connection when connected to wifi for extended periods of time? The Apple iPhone has a wifi sleep policy in which the phone turns off the wifi radio when the screen is turned off and the phone is in standby mode. If the cellular data connection isn't turned off it can become active to allow the background syncing of the applications that are allowed to access the cellular data connection. Which applications that can access cellular data can also be changed too under the Cellular settings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Huge 5s data usage while asleep!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does he have wifi at college? Does he turn off the cellular data connection when connected to wifi for extended periods of time? The Apple iPhone has a wifi sleep policy in which the phone turns off the wifi radio when the screen is turned off and the phone is in standby mode. If the cellular data connection isn't turned off it can become active to allow the background syncing of the applications that are allowed to access the cellular data connection. Which applications that can access cellular data can also be changed too under the Cellular settings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes