Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
keelingme
Enthusiast - Level 1

dealing with Verizon over this issue has been so frustrating! I'm thankful I found this forum though because I thought I was alone. the worst part is calling Verizon (which I've done 6 times this past month!) and being made to feel that I'm lying to them.  I'm really close to changing networks.

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hope they get this fixed soon. I gave up the fight and gave my iphone 5 to my grand daughter who still has unlimited data. What is strange I went back to my droid and now that im on the tiered data my droid is using data even when im not using the phone which makes me think that there is something wrong with their tiered data plan. maybe something in their programing. I retired from working on fiber optic systems so I do understand data.

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Funny thing happened today. I ran a detailed analysis for the month of October (the month that I purchased the I Phone 5 and this data problem began) Even though I was getting data alerts telling me that I was blowing through about a GB every other day, which prompted me to keep increasing my data to 10+ GB in the month of October..(and to start this thread)....according to Verizon's OWN data analysis when I log into my account>>>>we used less than *4* GB in the month of October. (Our plan is 4 GB)

Riddle me this. Is the problem truly with the data, or is the problem with the text alerts, prompting people to increase their data UNnecessarily. How can Verizon have told me that we blew through over 10 GB when their own tool says we used less than 4 (which is still double our normal usage measured on 3+ YEARS worth of past bills-typically at 1.6 GB per month).

This is getting sketchier and sketchier by the day.

My bill cuts tomorrow for November usage. We will see if the "automatic credit" is automatic after all or if I have to spend hours of my life on the phones again trying to explain and get my credits.

To the above poster^^^ I am right there with you. I am about to sell mine to someone with unlimited data and pick up another 4S.

0 Likes
mannyc

I just got off the phone with the "loyalty" department. Apparently, if you've complained enough, they can just replace your phone with another device... Samsung galaxy anyone? One thing the loyalty department doesn't know, I am loyal to apple!

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I checked my new bill that cut today. Surprise, surprise-there was no "automatic credit". I once again, took the time to make another call and was transferred to tech support for the I Phone 5...she credited me the $45 in overage charges and I expressed that I am still unhappy there is not a resolution. She confirmed (which I already knew, as I had $45 in data overage charges) that the Apple carrier fix #1 did not work, and Apple carrier fix #2 did not work and that Verizon is "waiting to see what Apple is going to do next". She advised that I replace the phone with a NON APPLE phone, as Verizon's expense-even though we are not due for an upgrade. I appreciate the attempt to help the situation, and I may take her up on that in the next month or 2, but for now-I have literally thousands of dollars sunk into my apple account-which I could not use the products that I have purchased on a non apple device. I told her that I can't imagine that Verizon is just going to keep crediting customers back every month as a resolution and she agreed. That's the best I've got. Still no fix. Get another phone. If you keep the 5-it is what it is.

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have figured something out that obviously will not fix the problem, but it's helpful. I figured it out on my own, and not via an Apple OR Verizon employee. Nice.

When I am on WiFi...my phone still uses cellular data when sending/receiving messages and pictures. I reset my usage calculator on my phone to 0..went to a few sites (facebook/twitter/pic stitch) and played a game (Draw Something) to test it out. I was still at 0. I received a text message and responded. Bam! It went against my usage. Not alot, and as I understand, you would have to send a million or something text messages in a month to exceed data this way HOWEVER, it SHOULDN'T be happening at all! There is a bug in the software and it is NOT fixed! My phone has been through BOTH carrier updates. All set there. And I did the 'hard shut off" after each update (as Apple instructed me that the carrier update does not work unless you manually do the hard shut off).

Something else that I do not understand. Most people that I know/text have I Phones. Most of my messages go through as I Messages. On Apple's own site, it says that I Messages are FREE and do NOT consume data. But they do. I have checked into forums about this and most of the general public agrees that I Messages do consume data, unless you are on Wi Fi, in which case it does not. This is untrue. Once again, I reset my phone usage calculator, sent an I Message and data was used WHILE ON WIFI.

I went into my settings>general>cellular data>OFF and turned my cellular data service, sent a few text messages, watched a video, browsed facebook..checked my data and it was still at 0.

So, I guess a workaround would be to turn your cellular data OFF while on a wi fi connection. If it is doing this for text messages, it is doing it for other things.

Another question...if I have unlimited text messaging with my plan as well as unlimited video/picture messaging WHY are ANY of these things going against my data?

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think something is wrong with the tiered data plan. Since I switched back to my droid it has used 72 meg of data 21 days into my plan and I haven't hardly used the phone I pulled up facebook a couple of times  and only for a couple of minutes and looked at my email once. With the droid I cant reset data usage or look at data usage on the phone. I also show data usage on the phone when im home and it's on wifi.

0 Likes
customer_service_anyo

Unlimited data?  I had unlimited data with my iPhone 4, but when it quit working andI upgraded to a 5, I lost my unlimited data.  They told me that if you changed phones you could not be grandfathered in... funny but my buddy at AT&T (even though they suck) has been grandfathered in with all his new devices because his account is still the same account... and he has even been in their top 5% of data users.... and still no per gig charge!

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was switched to tiered data when I upgraded to the iphone 5 but because it was eating so much data i gave it to my grand daughter who is still on the unlimited data plan. I was able to keep her unlimited data cause the upgrade wasn't done on her phone. they told me I can use her upgrade at the end of december and have it switched to my phone. as long as i dont activate the phone on hers she will keep her unlimited data.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

homeistexas wrote:

they told me I can use her upgrade at the end of december and have it switched to my phone. as long as i dont activate the phone on hers she will keep her unlimited data.

If you use your grand-daughter's upgrade, it's the same as her using it, i.e., she will lose her unlimited data and have to choose a tiered data plan.

0 Likes