Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
customer_service_anyo

Funny, but I got a reply to my post that said it doesn't matter what AT&T does... and I agree, they are a different business which I cannot stand for another reason.  But here is the point: I had unlimited data, but when I upgraded my phone I could not renew the unlimited data plan.  My buddy, who has AT&T, has upgraded several times on both his iPhone and iPad and, since his account is grandfathered, he has always maintained his unlimited data plan.  His ACCOUNT is grandfathered, bot his PHONE!  Point being, my ACCOUNT had unlimited data and should have been grandfathered as such.... making the reply I got completely asinine! 

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

read how many people did this in the forums, as long as it doesn't get activated on that account it won't change her data plan.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your granddaughter's line has unlimited data and you upgrade her line or transfer her upgrade to your line, then you've extended her line for two years, i.e., you've signed a new contract, thus her unlimited is gone and she will have to choose a tiered data plan. 

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes..the absolute only way to keep unlimited data is purchasing the device through other means..like craigslist or a friend. Once you have activated a Verizon bought phone on her line, it resets the contract and switches you to share everything. It's printed right on the receipt.

In any case...has anyone checked their data, lately? My bill just reset 5 days ago and I haven't gotten a text alert that I'm over, yet-so I'm crossing my fingers!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

sunshinegirlie wrote:

Yes..the absolute only way to keep unlimited data is purchasing the device through other means..like craigslist or a friend. Once you have activated a Verizon bought phone on her line, it resets the contract and switches you to share everything. It's printed right on the receipt. 

You also can pay full retail for a phone through Verizon and keep your unlimited data.  And it doesn't "switch you to share everything" ... you only switch if you want to; unless you have an older plan, you can choose a tiered data plan (i.e., $30 for 2 GB data).

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Headlines are out today stating that Apple has released the IOS 6.0.2 UPDATE which specifically addresses the 3 month WiFi issue.

HOPEFULLY this will work this time. My phone is not showing an update but I have read articles that at this time, it is only available through the I Tunes Store.

I am also hearing rumors that it is only available for the I Phone 5. I have read in many forums that people with the 4S are also having problems and Verizon told me that the problem was with IOS 6 and not a particular version of your I phone model.

We have both the I Phone 5 *and* the 4S so we will see. If I can get 1 of the phones fixed..there is half my data usage! I will report back after I do the update, reset my phone usage and compare to what Verizon "says" that I have used....

0 Likes
gc0225

Well, I d/l mine and I used .25gb this morning at a time when I wasn't using my phone.  So, good luck!

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

GOOD BYE VERIZON! HELLO SPRINT!

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right. We did the update too-the moment that it came out and it doesn't appear to have done any good. I have now installed wifi at work AND upgraded my wifi router at home. I also have cellular data turned completely off so my usage should be close to *zero* and my new cycle started today. See if this helps. At this point, I will just be happy if I don't have to call into Verizon for credits monthly.

Question-since I can't use my smartphone as a smartphone and I have to manually turn wifi on/off and cellular data on/off-can I send pictures when I am using wifi? I keep getting delivery fail messages when I am trying to send pictures when on wifi with cellular turned off?

They do go through when I am sending them over wifi through i message-but my husband has an android and I can't send him pictures?

Hope someone knows the answer to this!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to send/receive photo texts on Verizon's cellular network; they won't go through on wi-fi

0 Likes