Re: I Phone 5 BOGUS DATA OVERAGES
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

The data indicator on your phone isn't updated continuously.  There's a 'refresh' rate which basically means you see a snapshot of what your data usage is and then if you keep using data, that snapshot doesn't reflect the 'new' usage.  Once the data indicator is updated again, you see the next snapshot.  So, if you want to know your actual usage, there's a number you can dial on your phone to access the latest data usage - it would be the most accurate, second to calling VZ to find out your actual usage as shown in their system.  Here's a link from Verizon's site for more info:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/features/calling_features/number_features.html

Good luck!

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is the question of the day. Nobody knows, yet. Verizon put out a press release stating that customers would not have to pay for the mistake but when I called customer service to find out exactly how they are going to rectify it once bills come out-nobody could answer me. I was told that customers will have to "prove" they were effected. In my case, I have never once used 3 GB in a month in 3 yrs, and I have already burned through 8 GB's with 1.5 weeks to go in my cycle. If that isn't proof, I don't know what its! I was also told that billing would "automatically issue credits" which gives me less faith because again, how are they going to know who to credit? At this point in time, I am up to 8 GB's and counting-that I am paying for because my "plan" now says 8 GB's because I keep having to increase it. My phone is still not computing Wi Fi and I am being told by both Verizon AND Apple that there is not a solution at this time because Carrier Settings reads 13.1 and nothing is working. I was also told that because when we did the carrier settings update, we were not in a wifi area and that it may have "stuck" my phone into constantly trying to update-kind of freezing it but that there is not a way that is working to undo it. I'm stumped, too. I fully intend on taking them to court if my bill is not rectified when it comes out.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I don't know why you keep stirring up such outrage when:

1. You have yet to actually be billed
  2. You have not been told that your bill won't be rectified IF the charges actually do show on it
  3. You have no allowed anything to be rectified and seem dead set on somehow thinking you are going to court because you have imagined nothing but the negative based on....? CS reps on the phone that get paid very little (probably the lowest wages in the organization)? CS reps that don't actually do anything with billing except for explain what they can currently see on the account and take your payment?

Not to knock them because a job is a job, but seriously...VZW outsources their calling center CS to third party companies just like most other companies do. These CS reps not being able to answer how specifically something is going to occur should not be a surprise. Unless the info shows on their screens or they have been sent a message about what to relay to callers they probably don't know anything deeper than what you and I know.

Now, IF when your bill comes out and you see charges on there...and they tell you that you have to pay it THEN would be the time to be upset. You say you have talked to them and you post it as if you have talked to them several times since you first start posting about this...then you have a big part of your proof on the issue since you have a record of calling about this very problem. Will the billing be corrected automatically? No one knows just yet (unless someone that has been affected has already received a bill that shows the overage...maybe they will chime in). Since we all aren't seeing the issue...and since many have stated that the fix HAS worked for them it is possible that those that see extra charges on their bill may have to call in to initiate the crediting. That doesn't mean that the issue isn't being taken care of. It just means that everyone is NOT still affected so those that are may need to call in. Then again, it's possible that to eliminate any headaches VZW might have it set up to automatically adjust charges on all accounts...NO ONE KNOWS YET!

I get being anxious. I get being concerned. What I don't get is automatically assuming the worse and running with it despite being told that it would be taken care of. If you question the tech support info you have been told thus far you can try calling back and dealing with a different tech support rep. Worse case scenario, it doesn't fix what is still happening to your device. You could also ask for a replacement device if you feel like nothing else has worked yet some are saying they aren't having the issue at all anymore. But as far as the bill goes...relax and wait until it comes (you can see it online before you would physically receive it. THEN you'll know if you got worked up for nothing or if you have a real issue to battle over.

0 Likes
sunshinegirlie
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a Vice President of a bank, I am more than intelligent enough to know how to view my usage and bill online. I also would not be this upset if I were given this information by only one person. I have talked with multiple people at both Verizon and Apple and have visited both stores. I also have a good friend that is pretty high up the chain of command at Verizon and I know *exactly* what Verizon is being told to coach customers. What I don't get is that you have admittedly stated that you have not had this problem and I believe do not own this phone? So what you are stating is that you have no skin in this game except for to lecture people for expressing their opinion and making the general public aware and constantly defending Verizon. Are you a Verizon employee?

I have had enough issues with Verizon in the past-where they did make a HUGE mistake and it was like pulling teeth and consumed enough of my time that I am NOT looking forward to going through this again. Whether my bill is actually credited (which I will know in a week) or I have to WASTE MORE OF MY PRECIOUS TIME getting it corrected is irrelevant, as I have already had to waste several hours and make several trips to several stores without resolution. So yes, I am outraged. Especially after spending $300+ on this phone (including accessories). The *point* of this thread is NOT for all of the wonderful people that were able to fix their phones. The *point* of this thread is for all of the wonderful people that STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM AND CAN'T GET IT FIXED. The people who have to CONTINUE to INCREASE their GB's EVERY 2 DAYS because their phones are blowing through data.

ubm0158
Contributor - Level 1

When I got my bionic, literally, the instant

I signed the contract the sales person tried to swindle me out of

My unlimited data plan. Even after I had been told by Verizon phone

Support that I was grandfathered. I raised holy **** at the store, told them to reactivate my old contract, then told them to stick

That tiered data plan >Post edited<. Eventually, we called

Online support and I kept my unlimited plan.

Simply put, the slime balls at Verizon put their retail

Store personnel through a class to teach them

How to screw people out of their  grandfathered unlimited

Data plans.

My experience, between AT&T vs Verizon retail sales personnel,

AT&T is a billion times more professional and courteous!!

Yet, both have a monopoly on the cell phone market

And we desperately need a viable third option.

>Post edited to comply with VZW ToS<

..•/\•..

//

//

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I DO own the iPhone 5, which I have stated several times (and is why I post in the iPhone 5 forum now although I do still post in the 4s forum since I still own a 4s and a 4 on my account). So the "skin" I have in this conversation is equal to if not greater than that of your own. The only thing that I stated is not the same as you and some of the others with this is issue is that I still have an unlimited data plan, so ultimately if the issue gets fixed or not doesn't personally affect me. I do however understand the concern of those like yourself that actually HAVE to keep track of their data. Because of this I started tracking my own data usage to see if the issue existed for me. Again, this is info I have stated several times. I don't do it because I have to (I don't)...I do it because it may help show that for some users the issue doesn't exist. How it will help I don't know...but it does at least show that the issue isn't occurring to every one...and may help someone to realize that the issue may not be the iOS or VZW alone...but may be related to certain areas (again, I don't know if that is the case...but to the best of my knowledge and based on the people I know in my area that own one of the VZW iPhones currently running on iOS 6 the issue doesn't seem to be happening here). It could be a defect in some of the devices. Apparently, if the issue still exists for some then no one knows what the real source of the problem is.

Now, you have never mentioned previous issues as part of your reasoning for ranting like crazy on the forum. So you can not possibly expect anyone to know THAT is part of your amped up need to declare war immediately if the bill you have yet to receive isn't right. And as far as your "precious time" goes...everyone's time is important but it's interesting that you call it a waste of your time to call or troubleshoot or do anything that would require something on your part to alert them to charges on your bill that need to be adjusted...yet you have plenty of time to rant repeatedly about this on here before you have something to truly rant about. I also find it interesting that you know someone high up the chain at VZW that can tell you what the reps are being coached to tell customers (I guess that what you meant to say), yet they apparently aren't high enough to tell you what IS going on to the best of their knowledge nor are they high enough to make it easier for you to bypass the CS issues you are going through...and can handle whatever billing issues you may have without you having to call CS (if necessary).

One thing I have noticed you saying is that you have to keep increasing your data plan. If this is a known issue and you have been calling in about it...and it's been stated that customers won't have to pay for the overage due to this issue...why are you increasing your data plan? Wouldn't that put you at risk (possibly) for having VZW give you a more difficult time with this? You may have set yourself up for only being credited for data up to the current plan you have increased to versus your original plan which is what you should want them to credit you for. Just something to think about. Are you being told that you HAVE to increase your data plan? I'd be a bit more concerned about the possible ramifications of doing this....

And no, as has already been pointed out to you on one of your previous threads, VZW employees are clearly identified by their usernames and the VZW logo. I am a customer, just as you are...and 99% of those that post on here. And let's be honest here...this thread and the others you have posted in about this issue was NOT posted or started for those that have the issue and can't get it fixed...it is for you to rant. Period. You get e-irate with any response that tries to help or suggest anything even if you feel like you have already proven or stated that the fix doesn't work. I never had the issue to begin with (even before the carrier update) so I have clearly stated that for myself, I couldn't say if the fix worked or not...BUT others have stated that they have seen improvement. Which MAY explain why you get mentions of the fix. You get upset when suggestions are made for you to continue to contact VZW and argue that it's a waste of your precious time or start dropping hints about your own importance or who you know...none of which has helped you in any way so it doesn't matter who you know or what your profession may be. The point of you saying you are the VP of a bank was what? No one questioned your intelligence or ability to view your usage or bill online. It was mentioned as a method to see it sooner than you would get the paper bill.

At any rate, good luck with whatever happens. If you feel so inclined to file a lawsuit good luck with that also. It's obvious that you have no intent on being anything but irate on this so if it makes you feel better to handle it that way then ok.

0 Likes
ubm0158
Contributor - Level 1

I and a lot of other people got (deleted) upon by Verizon

When we bought the infamous GRAND (deleted inappropriate content) Droid bionic!!

A phone that Verizon knew was defective the day it hit the market.

A phone so (deleted content) up that it was discontinued only a few months after it was introduced. Verizon knew this problem was coming which is why they cut in half the return time from 30 to 15 days.

Oh, did I mention the data drops? How about the infamous

Serial rebooting? Say, 21 times in a row was my personal record.

When calling Verizon (deleted inappropriate content), they only offered to send me another

Bionic! When talking to a tech support person about getting

A different phone, I was told I could not get the razr

Because it was a newer phone. Newer by less than a freaking

Month!!

Don't play (deleted content) with me YOU KNOW WHAT THE (deleted)

I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!

Oh, I forgot, where is android 4 ( ICS). July? No! August? No!

How about, say....end of 3rd quarter? No.

Well, thank god in heaven for XDA DEVELOPERS, because I went ahead and upgraded to ICS.

If Verizon was a company that values it's customers

It would have offered us bionic (deleted)

A one time offer to trade In the phone for a different one,

Even if it meant paying a nominal cost to upgrade.

But then again, this is (deleted) Verizon we're talking about!

..•/\•..

//

//

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

0 Likes
davidgibas
Enthusiast - Level 2

answer me this

whats the difference

total shared usage and line usage ( domestic data)

total shared says  679.94mb

domestic says 15.36mb

do i add they up to get the total or what

ON MY IPHONE 5 USAGE DATA IS AT 382MB AND 3 HOURS AND 29 MINUTES WHY IS THIS DIFFERENT VERIZON

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I don't have a shared line but is it possible that the total shared is the usage between two or more devices on your account...and the (line usage) domestic applies solely to your device? That's assuming you are using more than one device on your account. I would assume that you look at the total shared since it is labeled as "total". As far as what your iPhone 5 says in the usage menu...it may not be accurate if it has been reset at any point during the billing cycle OR if you haven't reset it since the start of a new billing cycle. Otherwise you might need to contact VZW and ask them to explain the difference in the two numbers you are seeing.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I have no idea what you are talking about only because I have never owned the Bionic so I honestly had no reason to follow the news or issues related to it. I know that while researching what device I wanted to upgrade to (before VZW got the iPhone) I personally got frustrated with what felt like the fragmentation of Android devices and which ones got what updates...so it was one of the reasons I decided to go with the iPhone once it was announced. But everything that you stated in regards to it...I have no clue about. Not sure why you appear to be pointing your anger on your experience with VZW and that phone towards me (ie your appearing to be telling me that Iknow what you're talking about...when I don't) but if the experience was as terrible as it appears to have been and it was something that only affected VZW customers with that device (again, I know nothing about the phone except that it existed so I don't know if it was exclusive to VZW or not) did you consider leaving VZW at the end of your contract? I do know that VZW didn't just treat Bionic owners like that (as far as being allowed to upgrade to only select phones and the newer ones were usually excluded. When I had issues with my BB Curve I believe they finally offered to let me upgrade but it was to one of the older ones and not the new one that was released to replace my model. After stating that I did not want to go to a device that was technologically behind the one that I owned I was given an early upgrade credit on my account....which would let me upgrade to any device that I wanted to without penalty. This is when I started researching the various Android devices...but couldn't settle on one so I waited and continued to research. Since that was 2 years ago I can't recall the length and details of the entire struggle but I know it wasn't an easy feat. If I hadn't thrown a fit about having my BB replaced 4-5 times already they probably would have wanted to keep sending replacements or opening trouble tickets.). At the time I did consider switching providers also...but the alternatives didn't fit my needs as well...as far as actual coverage (when I have a phone that works) for voice calls.

At any rate, whatever your beef is with VZW on the Bionic device has absolutely nothing to do with this issue unless it was the exact same problem....which from your rant doesn't seem to be the case. No clue what ICS is (operating system maybe?) but if the Bionic works anything like Apple devices do then any updates outside of a carrier update isn't controlled by VZW (Apple controls it...which people still complain about but I guess the plus side is that if Apple releases it and your device isn't too old then you know you'll be able to get the upgrade and VZW can't block it). Otherwise...I guess you can show VZW how angry you are about whatever is going on and take your buisness somewhere else if you feel like you've exhausted all other possibilites...which you may have already done.

0 Likes