Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I currently have a verizon iphone 5,but i want to switch to another carrier,the other carrier says the phone must be unlocked.....SO ARE VERIZON IPHONE 5 UNLOCKED?
iphonefreak5

I currently have a verizon iphone 5,but i want to switch to another carrier,the other carrier says the phone must be unlocked.....SO ARE VERIZON IPHONE 5 UNLOCKED?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: I currently have a verizon iphone 5,but i want to switch to another carrier,the other carrier says the phone must be unlocked.....SO ARE VERIZON IPHONE 5 UNLOCKED?
mama23dogs

Not true.  Verizon no longer carrier locks it's phones.  The iphone 5 is the first model with bands for domestic GSM included in its firmware.

Verizon iPhone 5 won’t ever be locked, most likely due to FCC agreements | 9to5Mac

edit : FROM ABOVE ARTICLE "The one caveat is that Verizon iPhones cannot utilize LTE on AT&T’s network, but it will be able to use T-Mobile’s 2G and new 1900MHz 4G network."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I currently have a verizon iphone 5,but i want to switch to another carrier,the other carrier says the phone must be unlocked.....SO ARE VERIZON IPHONE 5 UNLOCKED?
mama23dogs

Verizon does not lock its 4G phones. 

THe iphone 5 model A1429 has bands to work on both CDMA and GSM networks.

0 Likes
47seijar

IIRC, Verizon 4G phones are unlocked for international GSM use only. Domestic GSM networks are locked out by the firmware and cannot be unlocked for use within the U.S.

0 Likes
mama23dogs

Not true.  Verizon no longer carrier locks it's phones.  The iphone 5 is the first model with bands for domestic GSM included in its firmware.

Verizon iPhone 5 won’t ever be locked, most likely due to FCC agreements | 9to5Mac

edit : FROM ABOVE ARTICLE "The one caveat is that Verizon iPhones cannot utilize LTE on AT&T’s network, but it will be able to use T-Mobile’s 2G and new 1900MHz 4G network."

0 Likes