IPhone 5 VS Android. Im looking for opinions.
imsthepines

I'm trying to get opinions on both side of the fence about this.  I am due for an upgrade and currently have an Android "Charge".  I was all set to switch to the IPhone but when I start reading consumer reports etc... I then question what I should do.  I'm trying to educate myself before jumping in with both feet again.  any information or Pros and Cons will be helpful

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: IPhone 5 VS Android. Im looking for opinions.
susanmary428
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been using Android phones since the original Motorola Droid was released.  I've liked some of the phones more than others, but my overall experience with the Android OS has been positive.  I like the ability to customize the phone and change the look of it.  I find it very intuitive and easy to navigate.  And I think that Google improves it with every new version, so it's only going to get better.  Regarding the Charge, specifically, I haven't heard fabulous things about that individual phone.  So if your experience was not positive, I hope you will not judge all Android phones based on that.

I've used the iPhone casually (not the iPhone 5, to be fair), but I haven't been impressed with it.  I don't see what the fuss is about.  It is overly simplified, leaves no room for user customization, and Apple is very much a dictatorship when it comes to app development and design.  But it's good looking and easy to learn for those not interested in the aforementioned.

At the end of the day, your best choice is going to depend on the type of user you are and what you are looking for the phone to do.  You will hear supporters of both devices tell you why the other one is awful, but both have pros and cons.

0 Likes
Not applicable

imsthepines wrote:

I'm trying to get opinions on both side of the fence about this.  I am due for an upgrade and currently have an Android "Charge".  I was all set to switch to the IPhone but when I start reading consumer reports etc... I then question what I should do.  I'm trying to educate myself before jumping in with both feet again.  any information or Pros and Cons will be helpful

Well first thing to remember is Apple iPhone has native printing ability where as you will have to search for an app that actually functions with an android phone. I had to buy an app called PrintHand for $12 the other free ones I tried just did not work well. PrintHand is what the iPhone uses.

Secondly, Verizon updates to the Operating System are always slow in arriving where Apple controls the updates and are pushed out on time.

Another thing to remember when your battery dies in a android phone that is self contained you have to send it to the maker of the phone and wait for it over a week to get back. There is also a charge of $50 or more for the new battery.  On Apple iPhones you need to bring to an Apple store and they can replace it right there, and you pay for the new battery.  There are many sites that compare the pros and cons of each just google for them.  Please note Verizon does not repair your iPhone but can service an android phone at the store for minor issues. You have to go to an apple store for repair service.  Just a few points to ponder.

0 Likes
Novakingwai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both types of phones are good, quality builds.  Here are the main differences.

iPhone:
1)  No expandable memory.  You can buy a wireless Harddrive to stream movies (and possibly music too, I'm not sure), but they are usually around $100+. 

2)  No customization.  The home screen shots that you see are the one you will get.  You can edit the icons and wallpaper, but all the icons follow the same rule.  They must be squares with rounded edges. 

3)  You can't take the phone apart.  If your battery dies, you probably have to take it to Apple Store to get it changed or swap phones.  (Some Android phone are also like this now).

4)  Expensive accessories.  Want to hook your phone to the TV?  The cables are expensive (Probably can get cheap ones on the internet)

5)  You can only get apps from the iTunes store

6)  There's no way to block numbers on the cell phone itself!  You have to call your carrier or go to your account on the website to add numbers to block.  Droid has this option built in the phones.

Android:

1)  Most phones have microSD card slots.  For the ones that don't, like the Droid DNA, you can get an OTG (on the go) cable and plug in a USB device (such as a flash drive) into the micro USB port.  You have expandable memory.

2)  Tons of customization.  This can be good or bad.  If you have no idea what you're doing you can switch around icons and install themes and lose track of where everything is.  However, it is not rocket science to figure out and you can truly create a unique phone experience the way you want it.

3)  About 1/2 the Droid phones have removable backs.  You can change the battery yourself if it dies after a  year or two, instead of having to take it in to an authorized repair shop.

4)  Since most Droids have the same plugs, there is a huge competing market for accessories.  Competition drives down prcies.

5)  Open source for apps.  The Google Play store is the default store on Droid devices.  However, you can get apps from other 3rd party stores.  This is both good and bad.  You might not be able to trust the apps from outside the store, and some are really bad.  But some in the Google Play store are equally bad.  I personally like the option of variety.

In the end, iPhone is more for people who want simplicity.  Droids are for the more "adventurous."  I myself recommend a Droid every chance I get.  There's nothing it can't do, and with it's open source you can bet there's an app or technique for whatever situation you need.

0 Likes