If I buy a new phone, how do I unlock my old phone?
Molly4006

Is the unlocking of my current iPhone 5 as simple as moving the Verizon SIM card to a new iPhone 6?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If I buy a new phone, how do I unlock my old phone?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You will almost always get more selling it than trading it in. As far as unlocking it for good...it IS unlocked. That does not mean it will work on all carriers. It is SIM card unlocked meaning what I mentioned on the previous response.  It may not have the correct bandwidths to work on say Sprint correctly. But if someone was traveling with it they could pop in a local SIM card and use local rates. As long as you clearly disclose that it is a Verizon Wireless iPhone 5 then the buyer will be responsible for making sure it fits their needs.

View solution in original post

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Depends on what you mean by unlocking. It's already  unlocked for use on other carriers if you were traveling (sim is unlocked and a local SIM card can be used in it to keep from paying Verizon's global rates). But you probably wouldn't be able to use it on any other US carrier (the answer to this always seems conflicting).

0 Likes
Molly4006

Thank you.  I'm thinking about taking advantage of the Target deal on the iPhone 6 right now and am debating whether to trade my iPhone 5 - 16GB to Target for $80 or sell it outright.  If I could get it unlocked for good (it's past the 2-year Verizon contract), I could sell it for closer to $200.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You will almost always get more selling it than trading it in. As far as unlocking it for good...it IS unlocked. That does not mean it will work on all carriers. It is SIM card unlocked meaning what I mentioned on the previous response.  It may not have the correct bandwidths to work on say Sprint correctly. But if someone was traveling with it they could pop in a local SIM card and use local rates. As long as you clearly disclose that it is a Verizon Wireless iPhone 5 then the buyer will be responsible for making sure it fits their needs.