Insane Data Usage When Phone Is Not In Use
Lazhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

I started noticing over the last month or so, that my wife's line has been using triple the data I do.

She is not a data user as I am...

Looking at the data logs, I notice weird things like the below, usage in Megs:

2/3/201410:55 PM27.57
2/3/20144:55 PM45.59
2/3/201410:55 AM252.32
2/4/201410:55 AM34.18
2/4/20144:55 AM116.82

On 2/3 at 10:55AM, my wife was at home and utilizing our Wifi...both our iPhone connect to Wifi automatically...not that the spikes were at 10:55A, 4:55P and 10:55P...always on the 55th minute...

On 2/4 she used 116Mb at 4:55AM...she was asleep and again, the phone was on Wifi

2/5/20144:46 PM84.14
2/5/201410:46 AM93.39
2/5/20144:46 AM30.25
2/4/201410:55 PM61.84
2/4/20145:58 PM85.13

Note again on 2/4...10:55P (following same pattern of 2/3, 3 heavy times of data usage down to the minute);

On 2/5 again, 3 heavy data usage moments when she would be at home (asleep for one of them) for two of them.

2/6/201412:29 PM27.41
2/6/20146:29 AM82.83
2/6/201412:29 AM81.14

Again...12:29AM, on Wifi and she was asleep; 6:29AM, she doesn't get up until 7AM...again always on the 29th minute.

2/8/201411:53 AM41.75

She was at home and on Wifi...

2/9/20146:59 AM14.04
2/9/201412:59 AM107.25

This is Sunday...both times she was asleep...she didn't wake up until 8:30AM that morning...

2/10/20146:59 AM13.69

She was asleep again...

What the heck is going on here?

Can anybody help???

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Insane Data Usage When Phone Is Not In Use
slim8570

I am having the same problem.  Went to a Verizon store to see if someone there could help me.  While in the store another customer was in asking the same question.  We were both told by the Verizon store manager that she couldn't help us.  She told us to call Verizon to get it straightened out.  Tried to get through to Verizon on the phone and got tired of being on hold for 30 minutes.  Went online to try to "chat" with a representative and I couldn't get through to anyone that way either.  I have a shared plan with my husband and we have never gone over the 4GB.  Now it is continually sending alerts that we are going to get charged for overage.  The records show data being used all hours.  Even when we are asleep???  Hope Verizon gets this straightened out soon.

0 Likes
Lazhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called Verizon and the girl who answered the phone told me that most likely my phone is losing Wifi connection and so she told me that when I'm on Wifi I should manually turn off data via the cell network.

I told her that was crap and she said she got that answer from Tech Support.

If Verizon thinks I'm an idiot, they are very wrong...something is pulling data from my device around the same times of the day 2-3 time per day a few days a month but NO ONE at Verizon is taking this serious.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Most of us set our phones to sync mail, update and backup when we are not using them, over wifi and while plugged into power.

This is exactly what your wife's phone is doing.

These data exchanges are in megabytes, 1000 MB = to 1 GB

They seem like normal amounts.

0 Likes
terrycloth

I know what you mean. I went on chat to find out why my ipad used 1GB of data during a time when I wasn't even near the thing. Was told that wasn't a lot. I'm sorry but when I'm paying $10 per 2GB, that was $5 for data I never got!

0 Likes
Lazhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're missing my point...I know that everything my phone is doing is on Wifi...e-mails would not drive over 1GB in data in three days.

I called Verizon and it took a girl to look into it and to send me to a tech who asked me to be in front of my wife's phone...I was not so he told me he would call me on Saturday at 11am...I am still waiting on the guy's phone call...

So far as a new Verizon customer, I'm very disappointed with the Customer Service...

0 Likes
I_karma
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm seeing the very same type of pattern - our data usage log is showing usage every six hours. Are the logs supposed to show usage in real time or does verizon just collect data at six hour increments and post those results?

I've noticed this pattern because we are suddenly (since going to new plan in November and getting new iPhones) seeing our data usage go way up even though we are not using the phones any differently than before. I've tried to talk to Verizon about this but keep getting the same pat answers that do not fit my situation. No one is helping us. I've been a Verizon customer since my first cell phone (maybe in the mid 90's... I can't even remember), but I'm feeling like we got duped.

0 Likes
Sith123

Just got off Apple tech support, because system services (go to settings - cellular - then scroll to the bottom) were using cellular data even when I completely turned cellular data off or was connected to Wi-Fi. I do not have any confidence with the tech but basically he\she typed (using chat) that is what the phone does, IE it needs to work.

I have turned off cellular data and reset the phone and that seems to have killed these data stealing services (have not let it sit long enough to make a full determination) and I have now turned it back on to see if the issue resumes. The funny thing as I told the tech my wife's 4s does not seem to have this problem.

0 Likes
Lazhil
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well here's something funny...after I reached out to Verizon and they said they wanted to walk through a few settings with me and have the tech NOT call me when we agreed to follow up, miraculously, my wife's data is not out of whack this month.

My guess is Verizon found something wrong but won't admit it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I believe it could have something to do with IPv6 being enabled on the phone that is causing issues. You think you turned data off but really didn't.

0 Likes