Re: Insane Data Usage When Phone Is Not In Use
jman68

I have two daughter one with an Iphone 4S & one with 5. Over the last few months we have gotten weird data charges in the middle of the night while on wifi in the house. This month they have gone over. I have been on the phone with Verizon who blames Apple and Apple says it's Verizon. Going on here and some other forums it sounds like an issue. These data leaks are causing people hundreds of dollars. I'm looking at moving services after being on Verizon since the early 2000's. This is nickel and diming people. Nothing has changed with the kids habits. I guess going to the BBB & FCC are the best route.

0 Likes
Deafeye
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just bought an new iphone 5 moving from the 4s on Sprint, and I was surprised to use just 2 gb on the first week, I never used 2gb on Sprint on my Unlimited plan - of course that was just 3G never got connection crappy service! I had an 8gb plan I just now bumped to 12gb. The apps I have that are using insante amounts of data are as follows:

Facebook: 3.9gb! Yes Facebook for iPhone 5 is totally different than the version on the iphone 4s. It automatically plays videos and loads photos in higher resolution on the wall. In sprint with 3g I could never load posts, but with Verizon, loading posts isn't a problem. If you're sitting there reading every post your friends make, you will most likely eat ur data.. Also, sends user location through chat and automatically draws data for all posts that you are tagged or notified in, as well as pulling data for every alert that you get sent, event invite, candy crush request, etc. Not at all surprised at how much data this app uses and Facebook is VERY popular these days.

Soundcloud: 2.9gb.A popular music streaming app.

Puffin Browser: 1.8gb I use this Browser because it plays flash videos and loads websites in the desktop verson automatically. Not at all surprised at the amount of data used.

On the flip side I watched a movie on Netflix and it only used 540mb, and streamed a 4 hour Dj set on "Mixcloud" and that drew only 422mb. I belive soundcloud updated itself and that is what caused the spike in data usage.

I also used 3.7gb of personal hotspot and this was used with my iPad and I know it was mainly consumed downloading new apps into it from the app store. So I highly recommend not downloading apps until you're in wifi, and also turning off automatic updates of apps. I have 16gb worth of apps on my iphone, if they were to all refresh in a day, I will go over my 12gb of data in a day!

Hope this helps some of you!!!

0 Likes
BalloonManMike

I am seeing 2-5 MG of data being used at around 3:45 AM everyday while the phone is home on wireless also. It is too bad no one is able to determine the cause of this. Only happening on my daughter's 5S not my wife's 4S.

0 Likes
ttocsrednib
Enthusiast - Level 3

All 3 of our 5s and one 5c seem to be using Data at home with wifi when we are asleep.  Anyone got any idea?

0 Likes