Insane data use on iphone???
fastfarms

Had an Iphone 4 for my daughter and did an upgrade to an iphone 5s. We now blow through our data in a week. We have turned everything using data on her phone off and its still using huge chunks of data. We took it to a verizon syore and they "fixed" it for us. It now uses double the data. Daughter is on a trip and can't text us now. Any fixes for this thing or do I contiue to spend $15 to $30 per month extra while limiting her phone data?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Insane data use on iphone???
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello fastfarms. I'm sorry to hear of the higher amount of data your daughter's phone is currently using. There are quite a number of reasons this is likely occurring. It is possible that some of this app use is caused either by web browser based usage, applications, or even background use. To make sure, let's start off with this: If you have your daughter review her phone, by going to Settings>Cellular - if she scrolls to the bottom it will provide a listing of all apps that are currently working off of cellular data access, alongside with an amount of data used prior to the last power cycle. Are most of those services/apps disabled from accessing Cellular Data access?

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWupport

0 Likes
fastfarms

^Thank you for your response. All of these apps have been shut off for a week and we are using more data then ever. She does not use email on this phone. Everything in Bluetooth, personal hotspot, notifications center, safari, iTunes, twitter, facebook, and cellular data is shut off. She is unable to do anything on this phone except make and receive calls. I have spent an extra $10 this month to add data we have never needed in the past so we can be in contact with her the past few days by text. Also spent $5 to put a limit on her phone so we don't go over our limit again. We have only had the phone since May 19 and have had trouble with data on her phone since that date. I have spent a few hours researching this problem online and see that it happens a lot and no general fix has been listed. Thank you again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Most welcome, fastfarms. Another issue that could be possible is that there may be more higher quality data streaming taking place if she uses music or video streaming services like Youtube or Pandora. Since this phone has access to higher speeds, her phone is capable of streaming at higher quality. This means that her phone can access stream the same amount of time, but it is now possible to use more data, unless those apps are configured not to stream at higher bitrates. Another option to help review is through this website. Try reviewing some of the apps saved on her phone through this site. It can let you know how much data apps can use. Not saying this is the cause, but it can help pinpoint certain apps that may contribute to higher data use.  http://bit.ly/1rdqu1d Thank you once again, fastfarms. Keep us posted please.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes