Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
International sim issue.
wtam

I'm a little curious, I know both the 4s and 5 are factory unlocked by Verizon due to FCC agreement. Both phones I've been able to use an international sim in just fine. So my father right now is in Macao, China and I just received a call from him saying that he's getting a "no service" (goes from searching to no service) from an international nano sim for a provider there.

I don't recall ever needing to call Verizon to have them do anything from their side of things with the previous two generation, it was just plug and play. I don't have the phone on hand so it's definitely a reason I'm going to have to rely on the forums. Is there any changes to the 5s that requires any adjustment in settings? Such as changing locations or anything like that? Or conclude that it's a faulty sim? Need to plug it back into iTunes (not sure if this one is necessary, since all the previous models didn't need to once activated)?

I purchased the phone for him at an Apple retail store. Pretty sure Verizon models have their ESN registered to Verizon in order for it to work, that they couldn't just give me any random carrier model.

State-side, I was able to put an AT&T sim in it and it was picking up service (didn't do test calls, just saw service and revert back). It would seem rather odd, that it's not working now. I guess the hard part is not having the phone on hand to fiddle with it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes