Iphone 5 Upgrade with grandfathered plan
dog9

I've been hearing rumors that if you are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan and plan to upgrade to the iphone 5 that you will lose this unlimited data plan because the Iphone 5 is 4G.
Does anyone know if this is true.

This would be the only reason I wouldn't get the Iphone 5 because I don't want to lose my plan. I have a droid now so I would get the Iphone4 instead if that was the case.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Iphone 5 Upgrade with grandfathered plan
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

no you lose your unlimited data plan if you use your upgrade on that account to upgrade to the iphone 5.. if you pay full price or you upgrade it on a different/new line and activate on your line you wont lose it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

no you lose your unlimited data plan if you use your upgrade on that account to upgrade to the iphone 5.. if you pay full price or you upgrade it on a different/new line and activate on your line you wont lose it.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the introduction of the Share Everything plan the end of June, the only way to keep your unlimited data (regardless of which phone you buy) is to either pay full retail or buy it from somewhere like ebay or craigslist.  There are A LOT of threads on this forum about it if you wanna do a search.

If you upgrade your phone by signing a new two-year contract, you will have to either choose a tiered data feature (i.e., $30 for 2 gb data) or switch your account to the Share Everything plan.

0 Likes
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

you can upgrade/add another line then transfer the phone over without losing your unlimited data as well...

0 Likes
Lupdawg72

What if my existing unlimited data plan is 3g (Blackberry Storm 2) and I want to transfer to a 4g smartphone (Razr Maxx HD)...will Verizon still allow me to do this?

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Lupdawg72 wrote:

What if my existing unlimited data plan is 3g (Blackberry Storm 2) and I want to transfer to a 4g smartphone (Razr Maxx HD)...will Verizon still allow me to do this?

Yes you should be able to do this.  Just last week I purchased a new Razr Maxx HD with an upgrade from a 2nd line on my account and immediately transferred it to my primary line (with unlimited data) to replace my iPhone 4 which was a 3g phone.  I still have unlimited and my data is now 4g/LTE.

Hope you enjoy your new Razr Maxx HD, I think it is a great phone.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

or you can pay full price for the phone

you unlimited data will go away when you get a subsidized phone (via it from vzw, best buy, ect) and sign a new contract

it does not matter if that phone is 3g or 4g, the unlimited is gone

the only way to keep it is buy an off contract phone

0 Likes