Iphone 5S - I sound muffled
carnelkw

I upgraded from the Iphone 4 to the 5S recently.  I received my phone on October 3rd.  I am having an issue with others not being able to hear me.  During a 20 minute conversation, the person on the other end will not be able to hear me clearly around 6 times for a 3-4 seconds at a time.  They say that I sound muffled or for away.  I took my phone to Apple and they replaced it with a new Iphone 5S.  The new phone did not resolve the issue.  People are still unable to hear my clearly.  This is very frusterating since this issue never occured with my Iphone4.  Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone 5S - I sound muffled
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's understandably frustrating, carnelkw. Let's make sure people are hearing you clearly on that awesome new phone. Did this only start with the activation of your 5s or did you experience voice trouble with your 4 too? Did you purchase a case or screen protector of any sort with your new phone? Are you using any hands-free headset when the audio trouble occurs? When someone can't hear you, do you simply relocate your hand placement to get the conversation going clearly again?

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
carnelkw

Yes.  Never had issues with Iphone 4.  I use a plastic moshi case which is the same model as the one I used on the iphone 4.  I am not using hands-free.  When someone can't hear me, they say something and then when I speak again, they will hear me until the same issue occurs again. 

Make sense?

0 Likes
cfpmike

When I hold my iPhone 5S in my left hand to my left ear the sound is muffled. I remember Steve Jobs saying you're holding it wrong. Although this had nothing to do with the problem we're having now it got me to thinking. I looked at my hand holding the iPhone my thumb was on the left edge with my to two Center fingers on the right edge. My index finger was up close to the noise canceling mic on the back of the phone and my palm was down by the regular mic.  I could see as I talked the voice could hit my palm travel up my hand to my index finger which was close to the microphone on the back.

I called my wife on the house phone using my iPhone 5S. She said that my voice was muffled. I took my index finger away from the microphone and moved it next to my two Center fingers on the right side of the phone. This moved my palm away from the microphone at the bottom. I did this while she stayed on the line. She said that now she could hear me clearly. I then moved my index finger to completely cover the back microphone. Once again she said that the sound was still good. I then moved my index finger a small amount away from the microphone and she said that my voice was muffled again.

I believe that the way I was holding my hand acted as a megaphone to the noise canceling microphone in the back. The noise canceling microphone thought my voice was noise and was suppressing it.

I work in a noisy environment, so I like the idea of the noise canceling microphone. Going to the settings and turning off the noise canceling microphone or putting a small piece of tape over the microphone is really not a good option for me.

For now I will use this new way of holding the phone until Apple can fix this issue.

0 Likes