Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is the iPhone 5 Unlocked?
joaquin7

I have been reading about Verizon's iPhone 5 being completely unlock. Since I travel often out of the country I really would like to know if this is a true fact or just a rumor. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is the iPhone 5 Unlocked?
iPhoneNerd
Novice

It is.

0 Likes
xswtnsour13x

Have you tried it? I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and it is locked.

0 Likes
xswtnsour13x

I think it depends on which one. My iPhone 5 from Verizon is NOT unlocked.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Leader

If you have access to a T-Mobile or AT&T sim card just try using it in your iPhone to see if it works. If it does  then you know the info stated on other sites is true. I know originally it was stated that iPhone 5's shipped from VZW were unlocked but no info provided on if those shipped from Apple are also unlocked.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

How have you checked?

According to Apple's website, US iPhones will be locked to the carrier within the US.

You would, however, be able to insert a SIM card from a foreign carrier for use internationally, and some have reported that with an international SIM you can also roam on other US carriers.

There are those that say the Verizon iPhone 5 is NOT locked to Verizon as a US carrier, though I have not seen anyone who has said otherwise from experience. They only point to websites stating about "theoretically" being unlocked.

Have you tried an AT&T SIM in your Verizon iPhone 5? An international SIM?

0 Likes
sococky

True, doesn't do the unlocked thingy with iTunes when you do a restore, but unlocked domestically for sure.  😉

0 Likes