Is the iPhone5 crippled on VzW?
nvthree

I've been an iphone user for over 7 years.  I'm familiar with many of the former models and software version over those years.  I could write a thesis on data and to back this up but I'm not getting paid to do this.  I'm in fact paying to to do something I can't do. 

My Current Background:

I pay for 6g of data monthly from VzW,  20g icloud, itunes match and a device that holds 64g of data that ties all of them together.  I currently use two of the at 50% capacity and the rest below that. 

My issue:

At the hospital, I take 7 minutes of video on my iphone that cover the first minutes of my baby's life. I want to share this with family immediately - (let me say this without going into detail, it's extremely important that that video get's sent within the day and I'm not leaving the hospital)  My only available options on the iphone are email message or Youtube.  VzW does not let me send this file do the first 2.  Only a clipped portion of it.  YouTube is not applicable because this is a different type of "Sharing".

My phone is built to incorporate, mail, message, videos, data and my connectivity to my loved ones and has been for years across all versions of iphone software and hardware alike.

To solve my problem:

I have to plug my phone into a computer to back up this data now.  (photo stream doesn't do videos, icloud does everything but photo music and video) 

I have to plug it into a connected computer if I want to send it to my family.

Apps may allow this but only SMS and email span different phones, software and OS's on a data push delivery model.

How do I ensure my video is never lost If something happens before I attach to a computer. An unadvertised benefit of either SMS or Email is that there is now another copy if something happens.

By hard coding restrictions on the size of video data VzW customer can send via SMS and email regardless of whether they are on Wifi, 4G or cellular networks, VzW has rendered my Smartphone useless in the core function that makes it what it is, a connected device.      

My 3 Questions:

Has the spirit of the iphone or smartphone been compromised by this hard coded restriction?

Should VzW allow users control of the size of video data (not movies) they can SMS or Email as long as customers are paying for it?

Do you think there may have been a major screw up in the technical requirements or legal contract that didn't separate movie data from video data and resulted in this one form of data being tossed to the curb when it came to building this phone.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is the iPhone5 crippled on VzW?
Not applicable

nvthree wrote:

I've been an iphone user for over 7 years.  I'm familiar with many of the former models and software version over those years.  I could write a thesis on data and to back this up but I'm not getting paid to do this.  I'm in fact paying to to do something I can't do. 

My Current Background:

I pay for 6g of data monthly from VzW,  20g icloud, itunes match and a device that holds 64g of data that ties all of them together.  I currently use two of the at 50% capacity and the rest below that. 

My issue:

At the hospital, I take 7 minutes of video on my iphone that cover the first minutes of my baby's life. I want to share this with family immediately - (let me say this without going into detail, it's extremely important that that video get's sent within the day and I'm not leaving the hospital)  My only available options on the iphone are email message or Youtube.  VzW does not let me send this file do the first 2.  Only a clipped portion of it.  YouTube is not applicable because this is a different type of "Sharing".

My phone is built to incorporate, mail, message, videos, data and my connectivity to my loved ones and has been for years across all versions of iphone software and hardware alike.

To solve my problem:

I have to plug my phone into a computer to back up this data now.  (photo stream doesn't do videos, icloud does everything but photo music and video) 

I have to plug it into a connected computer if I want to send it to my family.

Apps may allow this but only SMS and email span different phones, software and OS's on a data push delivery model.

How do I ensure my video is never lost If something happens before I attach to a computer. An unadvertised benefit of either SMS or Email is that there is now another copy if something happens.

By hard coding restrictions on the size of video data VzW customer can send via SMS and email regardless of whether they are on Wifi, 4G or cellular networks, VzW has rendered my Smartphone useless in the core function that makes it what it is, a connected device.      

My 3 Questions:

Has the spirit of the iphone or smartphone been compromised by this hard coded restriction?

Should VzW allow users control of the size of video data (not movies) they can SMS or Email as long as customers are paying for it?

Do you think there may have been a major screw up in the technical requirements or legal contract that didn't separate movie data from video data and resulted in this one form of data being tossed to the curb when it came to building this phone.  

Sigh.

The iPhone appeared June 2007. If you used for over 7 years, that would put us at LEAST at July 2014 right now. Troll post. Next!

0 Likes
nvthree

Yos, while your math is better than mine you, completely ignore the point.

I've gotten 6 hours sleep in the last 30 hours and I like for my technology to do what it should.

The reason the iPhone was successful was that it integrated email, web, phone and digital media in one device. It is the reason you don't carry around a digital camera in your pocket anymore. If I can no longer ensure the video data in my phone is portable and connected I will have to replace one of the major features of the phone with a digital camera.

I look forward to another one liner post that skirts the issue.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

drop box works fine, as well as other file sharing services

id ask apple to fix it, not verizon

0 Likes