Kind of a complicated situation/question
seannymurrs

Ok so here's the deal. I ordered a 5s this morning when they became available. I had hoped to go get one at the store but realized that I wasn't going to be able to get off work and didn't want to take the chance they'd be sold out by this evening. The problem is I recently sold my iPhone 5 and need to ship it today. Worst case scenario is I simply go without a phone until next week when the 5s arrives but I'm hoping to avoid that. I have an old iPhone 4 lying around and am wondering how big of a pain it would be to get that activated on my line for the next few days. Since it's not an LTE device I know it isn't as easy as swapping the sim card. My question if I do activate the 4 temporarily will I still be able to use my same sim when my 5s gets here next week? What will the procedure be to go from my old 4 to my new 5s once it gets here?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Kind of a complicated situation/question
pemoe26
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am pretty much in the same situation as you (without a phone until I get my 5s). Since there is an order pending on your line (I am assuming you are upgrading your own phone number), you can't do anything with your line until the order has completed (including equipment swap). Also, the SIM you are referring to is the LTE SIM; the SIM that the 4 used was the Global SIM. In basic terms, the SIM from your 5 won't do anything/work in your 4. So you and I are pretty much in the same boat and just gotta be phoneless for a few days! Hey, we used to always be phoneless "back in the day," right?? LOL...

0 Likes
MichelleLong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently had my iPhone 5 stolen by a pickpocket.  I used my daughter's old iPhone 4 (with a terrible cracked screen and uses 3G not 4G/LTE) for a while.  You can activate an old iPhone and use it.  Then, I got a new iPhone 5 today and activated it with no problems.  You can activate and switch devices online yourself and it's no big deal.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi seannymurrs,

Congrats on ordering your new iPhone 5S! I'm confident that you will love your new device when it arrives. You can activate your previous iPhone 4 online at your convenience. Please visit this link http://bit.ly/12EqC7I for easy instructions. Your current SIM should be good to activate your new phone as well, just process activation online entering the SIM card number. Happy upgrading!

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes