Re: LTE Issues
rcschnoor
Legend

lttlstvn wrote:

Hi,

My iPhone 5 is exhibiting odd behavior with LTE.

Firstly, the signal is extremely weak. I am in NYC. In my office where I have 4-5 bars of 3G, I have barely 1 bar of LTE. My office has a huge window and is not obstructed by other buildings. The building is glass. While the facade of the building may be glass, the building itself is not and IS made up of steel girders etc... Additionally, while YOUR office may have a huge window which is not obstructed by other buildings, the LTE tower you are receiving a signal from MAY not be on the opposite side of that window. It may be on the opposite side of your non-glass building.

It's also odd because not only is the signal weak, but after resetting network settings the signal will be 5 bars on LTE and gradually decrease to 1. Signal bars have been known to not be accurate. When the signal is first picked up, it may report this as FULL bars because it has gone from nothing to a signal. As the phone calibrates it signal, the bars may drop down to a more accurate reading. Whether or not this is a true reading, as I have said before, signal bars are not all that accurate.

When moving through areas where I had no service (say, the elevator) and then entering my office, my phone will quickly pick up the 3G signal, but then take several MINUTES to realize there's LTE available. This also doesn't happen just in my office - it happens on the street as well. Walking out of the elevator onto the street, 3G service picks up quickly. It takes the phone a few minutes to realize LTE is available and get a signal. Yet if I toggle airplane mode on and off the phone will pick up the LTE signal immediately. Just because you have LTE available in an area, not EVERY Verizon tower has an LTE antannae on it. You may have better 3G coverage in your location because you may be closer to a 3G tower than a 4G tower. I am not saying this is the case, but it MAY be possible.

Secondly, it seems like the phone is "shutting off" LTE when the phone is inactive. This is affecting me in numerous ways, including iMessage. When not actively using the phone there will be gaps in my messages, and a bunch of them will come through as texts, meaning the phone on the other end didn't think my phone was available for iMessage even though I have service. Yet when I reply and am actively messaging/using the phone, all messages are iMessages, not text, because the data connection is active again.

(Note: these issues are not the same as the lag that people were experiencing)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While these points may have nothing to do with YOUR experiences, they may also be the cause of at least SOME of your problems.

0 Likes
lttlstvn

I'm pretty well versed in technology and aware already of what you've

pointed out. The one I take issue with most is your third point, that just

because I have LTE in my area doesn't mean all towers have it. I'm in

manhattan, and the issue occurs on the same block. Turn airplane mode on

and off, boom LTE signal. Try to let it get the LTE signal on its own...

Wait 3 minutes. Plenty of people have reported this issue... It's not a

matter of there not being an LTE tower.

Sent from my iPhone 5

On Sep 27, 2012, at 8:29 AM, rcschnoor <community@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Sorry, the fact that you even stated some of the things I pointed out(i.e. glass building, large window in your office, etc...) led me to believe you were NOT aware.

As I ALSO said, they MAY NOT be the cause of your problems, but then again they may be the cause of SOME of your problems, not necessarily ALL of them.

0 Likes
odev

simple phone turn OFF and ON helped me yesterday. LTE is now ON.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

+1 To RC's post and may i suggest Wi-Fi especially at Home..

Message written By  b33Smiley Happy

0 Likes
two1361

I am in South Eastern PA and the only issues i have had with my iphone 5 is i go into certain store and the phone get a strong 3G signal, once i leave it switches back to LTE.

0 Likes