LTE Problems, Slow 3G, poor call quality, dropped calls, Eastern MA Boston
bspires

I have been having a hard time with my iPhone 5.  I ran the signal strength test in zip code 02364 and was getting RSSI readings that were bouncing all over the place.  I preformed this test in several locations both indoor and outdoors.  In one location I was seeing -44.5 to -106.  This was in a 30sec. window.  I preformed the signal strength test with and without a case on the phone.  I should note that I have had these problems since switching to the iPhone 5 from the 4S.  This phone seems to constantly drop LTE and falls into 3G or EVDO.  I get dropped calls, have poor voice reception— people can't hear me during calls, this comes in and out with no explanation.  I've had the phone replaced once and these issues persist.  I've swapped the sim card.  I have problems with and without a case.  I decided that I was going to have to live with it.  The phone's software is up to date.

Please help.  I've been just dealing with this, hoping that things would get better, but they haven't. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LTE Problems, Slow 3G, poor call quality, dropped calls, Eastern MA Boston
bspires

I just cycled the power on the phone, reseated the SIM Card http://vz.to/1**6x80  and reset the network settings http://vz.to/1bQlgvY.  I then repeated the RSSI signal strength test http://vz.to/1dPjFGv .  Readings were -72.5 to -102.   Readings mostly hovered around -88.

0 Likes
bspires

Phone is still dropping calls and bouncing from LTE to 1x.  This is completely ridiculous.  Verizon has yet to respond to my very thorough posts.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the delayed response as we are dedicated to offering you the best possible service, bspires. How long have you had the iPhone 5? Does the performance vary based on the time of day?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
ilveyawne

I am having the same issue.  I have reset every thing possible.  Switched sim cards.  Been to the verizon store several times.  I have had several replacement phones and it always does the same thing.  I see from doing some research that this is a common problem.  I am sorry that you are going through the same thing.  It is a verizon issue and they don't know how to fix it but send you a new phone.  Which works good one week then does the same thing again.

0 Likes
bspires

You should have all of my info on file.  I contacted a very nice and helpful representative from Verizon by phone on 3/7/2014. She set up a case.  I have not heard back, but expect to in the next few days.  I've had the phone since Nov. 2013.  The problem happens at all times of the day.  As fate would have it the problem presented itself while talking to Apple tech support person about an unrelated issue with another piece of equipment.  After resolving that issue, I was transferred to the iPhone dept where we preformed additional testing and ultimately Apple arranged to have the phone replaced under warranty.  Ironaclly, while working with apple, the phone dropped two calls and had a call failed.  I opted to do the warranty exchange at a local Apple Store yesterday morning.  One additional thing that I forgot to note is that the back of the phone would get hot to the touch when being used.

I've got to say that while the representative I talked to at Verizon Tech Support was super, Verizon's response on this site has been anything but acceptable.

0 Likes
bspires

Thanks for your post!  I haven't had the replacement phone long enough to know if the problem's been solved, but I will post an update here in a few days.  I've been a Verizon Wireless Customer for 15 years, for one reason— they've had the best network.  I've been out of contract for a fews years and can leave at any time.  It's not the contract that's kept me here.  I hope they get this worked out.  

0 Likes
NJ_Analyst
Contributor - Level 1

I had a similar problem in NYC and parts of NJ.  When I first complained, they replaced the SIM.  That didn't help.  Next, they replaced the iPhone 5 but that didn't help.  Finally, they are admitting that their LTE network is overloaded.  Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.  My contract runs out in November and if this issue remains, I will be running out as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi NJ_Analyst,

I apologize for the service issues you are having in the NYC and part of NJ. We are working on the network to improve service. Are you mainly on the indoors when you are having issues? What part of NJ are you referring to? Try doing a soft reset on your device to see if this can help to refresh your connections.

Edwin_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport experienced

0 Likes
NJ_Analyst
Contributor - Level 1

The data speeds are slowest and LTE nonexistent in Princeton, NJ (downtown on Nassau St.), Jersey City, NJ (Newport area), and in midtown Manhattan. These issues occur both indoors and outdoors. It's been going on for several months now so when can I expect Verizon to improve their data service?

0 Likes