LTE calls drop when iMessages come in over wifi
karenjs

Have only had Verizon since my iPhone 5 purchase (~3.5 weeks).  Get about 3 bars of LTE in the house, and have WIFI.  Tonight, I had a crazy experience of about 5 dropped calls one right after another. (With 3 bars still always visible).  I was getting iMessaged at the time (over WIFI, presumably), and I'm connecting the two events, because I've had a few long conversations at other times without having a problem. 

Not seeing much out there to help me. There's some similar-sounding chatter that suggests that LTE might be the culprit.  I'm happy to turn LTE off, while I'm at home (and hey, I actually get 5 bars of 3G).  Advice would be appreciated. Because that was beyond ridiculously frustrating and I looked like a complete unprofessional on a really important call.  I was amazed and embarrassed.  I actually switched away from ATT because of all the dropped calls and terrible coverage.  I think my Verizon coverage is fine...there's just some setting that needs to be set up so this doesn't happen again.

thanks

Karen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LTE calls drop when iMessages come in over wifi
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Calls don't go over the LTE network at this time. The CDMA 1xRTT network for voice is responsible for calls on Verizon Wireless. The iPhone5 should be able to handle a voice call and data transfer at the same time while being connected to a wifi network.

You can ccertainly try turning off LTE and seeing if it helps, but I don't think that is the heart of the problem.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: LTE calls drop when iMessages come in over wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you Ann154 for you response. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

@karenjs,

I've research this and did not find it to be a known reported issue. I apologize for the inconvenience. I definitely understand the importance of having a reliable connection especially when it comes to calls for work.

As Ann154 mentioned calls do not run over the LTE network. If you were connected to WiFi it should not affect your calls. Does this only happen while connected to WiFi inside your home? Has this happened in other areas? If you turn WiFi off are you still experiencing dropped calls?

Please provide additional details so I can better assist you.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes